Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of recently one of our aviary pairs has started to 'get busy' and, as such, we've sectioned them off because she was going to lay in the foodbowl which she was preparing....lol. Anyway, this is the female's second season (the first with us) and the male's first, we believe. They are both young birds, around 2-3 years.

The female is a violet.

The male is a cinnamon blue. His wings appear white, completely, except for feint brown cinnamon markings on them and has a full white head. His body is a very pale blue.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, it's a bit late a night now. But, going on that, what's a likely combination?

·
Registered
694 Posts
If the female is a normal violet, and the male is a sky blue cinnamon spangle, which it sounds like, you would get males-
Normal blue split to cinnamon
Blue spangle split to cinnamon
Blue violet split to cinnamon
Blue violet spangle split to cinnamon

And females would be the same, except all would be cinnamon.

HOWEVER, that is if your hen is only single factor violet. If she is double, all chicks will be violet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In what way are his wings completely white? Are they all white with markings near the tops, or are they covered in markings with white beneath the markings? :p Also what colour are your male's eyes? If they're red, he could be a fallow (considering you mentioned the blue he has is very pale). I would guess maybe a cinnamon greywing, since the greywing mutation dilutes the body colour, but then again, you could just be referring to normal sky blue. And concerning his full white head, are you referring to his cap or to his entire head? If entire head, then maybe an opaline (or a dominant pied, which could explain the "white wings" if the markings are restricted to the tops). I'm excited to see these pictures! :D

Well I'll do the Punnett square assuming that he's just a sky blue cinnamon.
If the female is the first type of true violet, she would have one dark factor and one violet factor, so the chick's mutations would be:

12.5% violet male split for cinnamon
12.5% cobalt male split for cinnamon
12.5% violet-tinted male split for cinnamon
12.5% sky blue male split for cinnamon
12.5% violet cinnamon female
12.5% cobalt cinnamon female
12.5% violet-tinted cinnamon female
12.5% sky blue cinnamon female

If the female is the other type of true violet, then would have two violet factors and no dark factors, so the chick's mutations would be:

50% violet-tinted male split for cinnamon
50% violet-tinted cinnamon female

These are going to be some lovely chicks! And they may turn out even better if there are other mutations only a picture could reveal! I will post more Punnett square outcomes if there's new information on the parents' mutations. I hope I helped, good luck! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are our beautiful budgies. The female has a distinct purple shade around her neck which can't be seen in the image and shaded between the black on her wings is a deep blue that is a faded, yet visable violet. And our male has black eyes. Looking at him closely, I believe he's a greywing?[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Member of the Month July 2011
3,661 Posts
Wow, they are gorgeous birds. I'm gonna keep a good eye on this project to see how the chicks turn out. Best of luck with it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, they are gorgeous birds. I'm gonna keep a good eye on this project to see how the chicks turn out. Best of luck with it!:thumbsup:
We were so lucky to track down a violet female and a male like him. The previous owner bred her with a male exactly the same, once, so we're really looking forward to seeing the chicks. They're feeding each other a bit more now and he sings ALL the time, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here are our beautiful budgies. The female has a distinct purple shade around her neck which can't be seen in the image and shaded between the black on her wings is a deep blue that is a faded, yet visable violet. And our male has black eyes. Looking at him closely, I believe he's a greywing?[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
The female is the first type of violet I mentioned, so she has one dark factor and one violet factor. She's also an opaline! :D
The male is a sky blue greywing, but I don't know about the cinnamon... Maybe it's just my computer screen, but I don't see any cinnamon. :S Are you positive he's a cinnamon? Also were there supposed to be more than 3 pictures? Just wondering. :p

Assuming the male is cinnamon, the chicks mutations would be:

12.5% violet male split for cinnamon, opaline and greywing
12.5% cobalt male split for cinnamon, opaline and greywing
12.5% violet-tinted male split for cinnamon, opaline and greywing
12.5% sky blue male split for cinnamon, opaline and greywing
12.5% violet cinnamon female split for greywing
12.5% cobalt cinnamon female split for greywing
12.5% violet-tinted cinnamon female split for greywing
12.5% sky blue cinnamon female split for greywing

So none of the chicks will be greywing unless the mother is split for greywing.
I hope I helped, good luck! :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Your female looks like a cobalt df violet opaline to me, and your male a sky blue greywing spangle :)

You can expect sky and cobalt blue violets. They will be normals and spangles :) If they are split for anything (which is very likely) a few other mutations could pop up too like opaline, greywing etc :)

G

·
Your violet is GOOOOOORGEOUUUUUSS! I've always wanted a violet but i've never managed to find one anywhere :(

I can't wait to see the out come of this :D

Please keep us posted, good luck :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did I miss something??? How can you tell that the female is an opaline from the FRONT??? I'd love to know! Very curious!
They're gorgeous! The female, to me, looks like a cobalt DF violet (opaline, I guess), and the male looks like a sky blue spangle (Can't tell if he's a cinni or dilute /: )

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your female looks like a cobalt df violet opaline to me, and your male a sky blue greywing spangle :)

You can expect sky and cobalt blue violets. They will be normals and spangles :) If they are split for anything (which is very likely) a few other mutations could pop up too like opaline, greywing etc :)
How can you tell he's a greywing spangle? I just see the greywing. :S

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.