Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had Charlie for a year, and there is one thing that has been bugging me. I don't know what colour Charlie's dad is/was.

If I showed you pictures of what Charlie's mother and sister looked like, along with what Charlie looks like, would that help?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Charlie looks like this:

http://www.***************/v_mauve3.jpg

Charlie's sister looked like this:

Charlie's mother looked like this:

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
wow that is one confusing family tree :S
I'm sorry I'm no help, but hopefully Nev will come along and help you out :)

·
Budgie Researcher
2,315 Posts
Hm. I'm confused as to how Charlie turned out to be mauve with a sky blue parent. His dad must've been either recessive pied or split for recessive pied (if the mom was as well) though, I think.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*crosses fingers and waits for the Great Nev to come along*

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
im also confused about how he is mauve... maybe he is actually grey factor or something if that even exists :S.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well from your signature, he looks grey. His mum would be a Skyblue Spangle split for Rec Pied, and his sister a Cobalt Recessive Pied. That would mean his father would have to have been a Grey (with zero or one dark factors) Recessive Pied. That's my guess. :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

he does look mauve to me too, but that wouldn't be possible if the mother is skyblue...but then the picture of the skyblue is a male so....

the sister has an iris ring so i think it is a lightly marked dominant pied. in which case the father would have been a blue (cobalt or mauve) dominant pied.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Was Charlie bred in an aviary with other birds?
Is that a picture of Charlie or just a bird that looks like him?

The picture that looks like Charlie is of a mauve male and the male bird that you say looks like his mother is sky blue. It is not possible for a sky blue to be a parent of a mauve. The other bird that looks like his sister is a dominant pied sky blue male so one of his parents would have to be a dominant pied. If the sister was a recessive pied the gene may not have shown in either of the parents. To get sky blue & mauve in the same clutch both parents would need to have one dark factor, sky blue has no dark factor

Sometimes birds look very similar and a slight variation in the shade or the wing pattern may not be noticed if you are not very experienced

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was Charlie bred in an aviary with other birds?
Is that a picture of Charlie or just a bird that looks like him?

The picture that looks like Charlie is of a mauve male and the male bird that you say looks like his mother is sky blue. It is not possible for a sky blue to be a parent of a mauve. The other bird that looks like his sister is a dominant pied sky blue male so one of his parents would have to be a dominant pied. If the sister was a recessive pied the gene may not have shown in either of the parents. To get sky blue & mauve in the same clutch both parents would need to have one dark factor, sky blue has no dark factor

Sometimes birds look very similar and a slight variation in the shade or the wing pattern may not be noticed if you are not very experienced
Yes, Charlie was bred in an aviary with other birds (canaries, cockatiels, finches and quail).
The picture I posted looks just like Charlie.

Thanks for your help!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The bird in your avatar looks like it could be a grey not a mauve like the picture you posted. The main difference between the two is the colour of the cheek patches and the shade of the main tail feathers

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just comparing two photos (one of a mauve budgie, and one of a grey budgie). Charlie looks a LOT more like this:

than this:

http://www.***************/v_mauve3.jpg

Well, that sorts out Charlie's colour.

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
Why don't you just post a picture of Charlie?? :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay!

Good closeup of his cheek patch:

Wing pattern:

Colour + cheek patches + wing pattern:

I'm pretty sure (NOW!) that he's a grey)

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
There you go!!! :D

He's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rofl Caspir!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes, thats a lovely grey normal! a lot of greys have quite blue cheek patches which is confusing but he has the nice strong grey ones.

that sorts out the mystery of the mauve from a skyblue, a grey can come from a skyblue no problem. and the father must have been a dominant pied either grey or grey green.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.