Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an albino female is mated to a blue base yellow face II dominant pied male, can you get green base babies?

I am starting to wonder about one of their babies that I have because he is a lime green color and I have yet to see blue. He is a yellow face II baby. So I assumed blue + yellow = green but like I mentioned, I am worried because I see no blue so far. He is not yet 3 weeks old.

Another question I have is with the same above parents, can you get a yellow face type I? The yellow on the face only if the dad had yellow on face and body? I assume the mother is a carrier?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im a bit confused about your question. If the dad is a YF2 dominant pied blue male, he should be a seafoam green colour. Unless he is a double factor dominant pied in which case he would have almost no colouration and appear almost like a creamino (visually at least).

So if he is a double factor dominant pied, and the female albino is masking no dominant pied than ALL your chicks will be single factor dominant pied which would likely produce a band of clear (white) feathering across the mid belly or lower chest and the wings/flight feathers, with the rest of the colour appearing blue (upper chest, back, rump etc)

If a chick was also to inherit YF2 from dad, then the clear band and flights etc would appear yellow, and the rest of the bird would appear seafoam green as you say - there would be no blue due to the mix of blue + yellow = green.

I guess im confused as your post seemed to answer your question? Could you be a bit more specific, or perhaps i answered your question?

p.s unless the father is split for albino, all your male chicks will be split for albino and none of your females will possess the albino gene.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Im a bit confused about your question. If the dad is a YF2 dominant pied blue male, he should be a seafoam green colour. Unless he is a double factor dominant pied in which case he would have almost no colouration and appear almost like a creamino (visually at least).

So if he is a double factor dominant pied, and the female albino is masking no dominant pied than ALL your chicks will be single factor dominant pied which would likely produce a band of clear (white) feathering across the mid belly or lower chest and the wings/flight feathers, with the rest of the colour appearing blue (upper chest, back, rump etc)

If a chick was also to inherit YF2 from dad, then the clear band and flights etc would appear yellow, and the rest of the bird would appear seafoam green as you say - there would be no blue due to the mix of blue + yellow = green.

I guess im confused as your post seemed to answer your question? Could you be a bit more specific, or perhaps i answered your question?

p.s unless the father is split for albino, all your male chicks will be split for albino and none of your females will possess the albino gene.
Excellent answer I was going to answer this morning BUT i am no good at genetics lol

But I did want to add / Ask (maybe i'm wrong)

but there are no "green based budgies" there are only white and Yellow Based

I do know with the Yellow Face Type 2's the body color normally doesn't change until maturity So when they're young they dont' look "sea foam Green" they look sky blue

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You can't get a green (yellow) based budgie from mating an albino to a type 2 yellow face but you may get a yellow face bird that looks greenish. The yellow would be a lighter shade than the yellow on a normal green and the body colour would be an indistinct greenish shade of blue.

Your second question about the yellow face is possible. If the mother has a white face but she is a double factor type 1 yellow face all her chicks would be type 1 yellow face but as the dad is type 2 yellow face half of the chicks would also be type 2 yellow face. The chicks that had both mutations of yellow face would just look like type 2s. If this is the case with your pair then there would be no white face chicks. A lot of type 2 yellow face birds look like type 1 until they moult

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your second question about the yellow face is possible. If the mother has a white face but she is a double factor type 1 yellow face all her chicks would be type 1 yellow face but as the dad is type 2 yellow face half of the chicks would also be type 2 yellow face. The chicks that had both mutations of yellow face would just look like type 2s. If this is the case with your pair then there would be no white face chicks. A lot of type 2 yellow face birds look like type 1 until they moult
What if both parents are White faces - normal mutations other then the splits the father has

what would cause all the babies to have Yellow Faces?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Yellow face genetics gets a bit crazy lol. Sometimes it's best to just say "your birds are gorgeous" hehehehe
lol that is true , plus mine just like confusing me

that pair both are white face gave me all yellow faces both times

I had a pair who were both yellow face their baby has a white face :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I'll take Cartoons for $100, Alex....

:D

:laughing:... that's something I actually know about!
I was gonna say "your birds look pretty" but there are no pictures!:eek: (But I am imaging they look pretty...) ;) :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I'll take Cartoons for $100, Alex....

:D

:laughing:... that's something I actually know about!
I was gonna say "your birds look pretty" but there are no pictures!:eek: (But I am imaging they look pretty...) ;) :D
What was the name of the dog who was a Janitor by day, but had a different "job" on the side :p

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
lol that is true , plus mine just like confusing me

that pair both are white face gave me all yellow faces both times

I had a pair who were both yellow face their baby has a white face :rolleyes:
Exactly what i mean. Chances are your two 'white faces' where a white face and a double factor yellow face type 1. Double factor yellow faces are white (go figure!) so that means all your chicks would have been single factor yellowface type 1 as you said (visual yellowfaces).

Then pairing two single factor yellow faces would give you 50% single factor yellow face, 25% double factor yellow face and 25% white face. Aaaah, lets not even talk about YF type 2 or goldenface *dies*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am getting confused trying to figure this out. Let me keep it as simple as possible. Basically I am trying to figure out the genetics of the parents of my baby who is not even 3 weeks old yet. I can only see his wings, head, and tail well. So here is the info below...

Visually the parents are:
Mother: albino
Father: blue yellow face II dominant pied

First clutch had:
albino
albino
albino yellow face II
blue opaline yellow face I (assumed to be male)

Second (current) clutch had:
blue ??? (don't know if dominant pied or opaline, but definitely not a yellow face type)
supposedly blue yellow face II dominant pied (people from my other post said he will probably take after dad, but he isn't looking like dad... thus confusion)

So from that information I assume:
Mother masks opaline
Father is recessive opaline
Father is recessive albino

I am not going to try to figure out why a yellow face I was born to a yellow face II dad. I tried to read it and tried to understand it, but I think it is too much. All in all, I understand there is always the possibility of double yellow face which makes that bird not look yellow face... but enough on that one.

What I am trying to figure out is what the heck happened to my baby genetically?

That is the current picture. Why is his marking so light? If he was normal banded they would be noticeably darker now won't they? His banding does not even look like my other budgie (not parents or related) who is opaline. His tail is all yellow unlike his dad. The green seems light like lime green. I suppose I am freaking out because I thought he would look like dad and show blue. I have had people say also that a yellow face II blue doesn't show green until later, but he is green now?!?!?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
First Opaline is a sex linked gene if the female has it it shows

in order to get Albinos both parents need to be albino OR one parent visual and one split - this would be yours, your male's split to albino

Normally their colors deepen as they get older - most of mine start out very light and get darker as they get older

Also do you Single cage breed or do you have a Aviary and colony breed?

IF you colony breed it would be more then likely the dad isn't who think it is

but if you Single cage (remove 2 birds and put them in a cage of their own to breed) then it is the dad you think it is UNLESS she mated with some one else before you bred them! they can hold the sperm in them for i believe 15 days - i've also been told 30 days

and I think the way you get Type 1 From a Type 2 Is in order to get type 2 both parents would have to be yellow face , but to get type 1 only one parent is yellow face

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Exactly what i mean. Chances are your two 'white faces' where a white face and a double factor yellow face type 1. Double factor yellow faces are white (go figure!) so that means all your chicks would have been single factor yellowface type 1 as you said (visual yellowfaces).

Then pairing two single factor yellow faces would give you 50% single factor yellow face, 25% double factor yellow face and 25% white face. Aaaah, lets not even talk about YF type 2 or goldenface *dies*
lol i have a yf type 2 also BUT her babies haven't confused me lol

I take that back the one did from the 1st clutch, Couldn't figure out how i got a yellow face sky blue pied with yellow all through the wings as well

I knew how I got a yellow face , and I knew how i got the sky blue and the pied, BUT the yellow going through the wings is what confused me - but I got that sorted out lol

and that same pair had another one several months later - but she didnt have as much yellow on the wings as the first

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The parents aren't mine. Only this one baby is. The parents are kept in a large indoor cage with another pair. Neither of those two have even tried to have a clutch nor ever had one. Only my babies pair had any interest in mating and they are bonded.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
out of curiosity do you know what mutation the other male is?

Just because they were never seen mating does not mean they never did it

so it is very likely the "father" you think is the father isn't the father at all.

but that is going to depend on the mutation of the other male

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I go to the breeders house tomorrow night so I will try to check then. I don't recall off the top of my head.

·
3,676 Posts
What if both parents are White faces - normal mutations other then the splits the father has

what would cause all the babies to have Yellow Faces?
One of the white faced parents is actually a double factor type 1 yellow face. Which ever one it is will produce yellow face chicks whenever it is mated to a white faced bird UNLESS you pair it to another double factor type 1 yellow face

·
3,676 Posts
The parents aren't mine. Only this one baby is. The parents are kept in a large indoor cage with another pair. Neither of those two have even tried to have a clutch nor ever had one. Only my babies pair had any interest in mating and they are bonded.
As ATV has said if there is another male in the cage you cannot know for sure which one is the father of the chicks. Budgies are notoriously unfaithful no matter how well they are bonded

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to Zazu's breeder today and the other male in the cage is a green with a blue ting to it. It has normal black bands and is not any type of pied.

Zazu's clutch mate seems to be a blue but is hard to tell since his feathers aren't as far along as Zazu.

The breeder is also shocked how Zazu is turning out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just found a ting of blue on Zazu. See pic below:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.