Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I’m not sure whether to be alarmed about this or not: my female budgie, Gigi, got out of her cage the other day and her nail got caught in a carpet. I came to her rescue as calmly as I could to unhook her, but she panicked and I guess pulled. Her nail didn’t come off, but now her little toe looks discoloured and swollen (you might see in the picture, on her right foot). Is this an emergency? Or do you think it’s like a “bruise” that will heal on its own? The avian vet in my area is hard to get to, so I’m hoping she will be ok :(

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Gigi was injured.
Her toe should heal up on its own. You can give her unsweetened room temperature Chamomile Tea to help reduce the inflammation. You can also soak her foot in it if she will allow you to do so.
You may want to get her toenails trimmed as they look to be rather long.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that Gigi was injured.
Her toe should heal up on its own. You can give her unsweetened room temperature Chamomile Tea to help reduce the inflammation. You can also soak her foot in it if she will allow you to do so.
You may want to get her toenails trimmed as they look to be rather long.
Best wishes!
Thank you FaeryBee, that is reassuring! I’ll try giving her chamomile tea. She won’t let me near her to soak her foot, unfortunately. I wanted to ask about the nail trimming: I know it needs to be done. But I got my two budgies at the age of two from a pet shop where they had been returned by a previous owner. They are not at all tame and Gigi in particular is terrified of humans touching her. I’m worried that if I bring her in to get her nails trimmed, she will be traumatized and fear me all the more. What do you think? Is it better to leave her nails be, as long as she stays safe inside her cage? (It’s a fly cage, very roomy.)

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
How large is the cage? Length, Width, Height
Also, do you have other wood perches of varying diameters to help prevent Pressure Sores?
Look at the article about Pressure Sores in the Articles section under Budgie Health.
Do you have a bird-safe room for free flight?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cage is 16” high, 18” wide, 30” long. The birds fly back and forth a lot so seem to be getting their exercise. They have a variety of perch sizes and materials. The most bird-safe room would be the bedroom, although they could still get under the bed and hide. I’ve tried getting them out of their cage several times, but they seem to panic and not enjoy it very much.

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
I can understand your reluctance to take her in for a nail trim unless it is absolutely necessary.
Is she gripping everything OK without any issues?

Your cage is the minimum size recommended for two budgies. :)
Since your budgies are flying back and forth and are happy in their cage, please do not try to force them to come out.
They should only come out if that is what they want to do. Their cage is their safe place and obviously they feel most comfortable there.
When Gigi hurt her foot, had she elected to come out of her cage on her own?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand your reluctance to take her in for a nail trim unless it is absolutely necessary.
Is she gripping everything OK without any issues?

Your cage is the minimum size recommended for two budgies. :)
Since your budgies are flying back and forth and are happy in their cage, please do not try to force them to come out.
They should only come out if that is what they want to do. Their cage is their safe place and obviously they feel most comfortable there.
When Gigi hurt her foot, had she elected to come out of her cage on her own?
She seems to be gripping everything with her foot normally ... And no, I never force them out. Sometimes I leave the cage door open in case they feel like flying more freely (I’m always there). Gigi does go out on her own, as she did this time. But I think overall they are safer in their cage. They don’t seem to know where to go when they’re out, and they seem to be very nervous (breathing heavily). I was trying to get them “used to” it but maybe it’s just better if they don’t fly around if they’re nervous?

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
The only way to get them comfortable out of the cage is to have them out of the cage at their own pace and choosing. I would not confine them to the cage but just leave the door open as you have been.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.