Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a golden face cobalt English budgie, and was looking at his eyes and thought his iris were brown. Is this normal in a golden face or is he just young? I got him from a breeder who got him from another breeder, I am going to write him to see if he knows the age.
ok, back, I just checked his band and it says 08, so I guess he isn't young. Why the dark brown iris instead of the white??

oh, the red on his beak is carrot.. or beats.. maybe both,, he can eat!!!

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
When his irises do change color, they will be white when fully developed :)
Budgies only have 2 eye colors, well, not really colors, just types.
DEC and Recessive Pieds have what we call "plum eyes", but they are really just dark eyes that never get an iris.
Then you have all the other mutations, and they will develop a white iris. Some take longer than others. Some will have a white iris within months of birth, others, like one of mine, will take forever! :) It's all in the budgie really. He will have a white iris in no time, they grow up so fast!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hmm I think by age 2 he would have his iris color by now. This will be an interesting question to see answered by some of our experts. I wanna say there are some mutations with brown iris as well, but don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All my others have the white iris, well ok, one has so much feathers I can't tell but the rest have white. This guy has dark brown, very hard to distinguish from the pupil they are so dark. I'm with Teasha on this one, if they were gonna turn white I would think they would by now. I wonder if he has a hidden mutation that is causing it... Either way he is a beauty..

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
All my others have the white iris, well ok, one has so much feathers I can't tell but the rest have white. This guy has dark brown, very hard to distinguish from the pupil they are so dark. I'm with Teasha on this one, if they were gonna turn white I would think they would by now. I wonder if he has a hidden mutation that is causing it... Either way he is a beauty..
He is gorgeous :) I shall have a yf again one day.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Oh, I'm terribly sorry for giving you false information. :eek: To my knowledge, there were only 2 main eye types. There is another one? :eek:
I don't know. We were just thinking there must be. He is two and his iris shoulda changed by now if they were going to.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tomorrow, if he lets me, I will try to take a macro shot of his eye.. I'll tempt him with millet, take a bunch of shots, and one should show the color well.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If he has not developed iris rings by now he probably never will

We do not all conform exactly to what is normal for our mutation

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as promised, another, closer look into the eye of the budgie..

You can definitely see the brown iris

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
To my knowledge there is a couple of eye type:
Red - Red with iris - Black - Plum - Black with iris

Is it possible that this bird may be split for pied?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
To my knowledge there is a couple of eye type:
Red - Red with iris - Black - Plum - Black with iris

Is it possible that this bird may be split for pied?
I was thinking split for Pied as Recessives don't get Iris rings, he certainly looks old enough to have his Iris ring by now.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Here is one of them Avacado... he is going on 2 but has no white iris rings and is split for recessive pied.

And here is his brother Zest who is the exact same mutation but is not split for recessive pied and has the iris rings :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
lovely birds lindsey, but they are not the exact same varieties... you have a spangle and a spangle opaline by the looks.;)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
lovely birds lindsey, but they are not the exact same varieties... you have a spangle and a spangle opaline by the looks.;)
I know I thought the same thing myself! But through breeding they are indeed both just spangles not opaline spangles :) They are split to opaline though :)
When they were young they had black spangle markings just like any other spangle with no coloring, but with moulting they have changed to the colors they have now :)

I posted pictures on here of them too and barrie and nev said they had spangles looking exactly like them but were not opalines.

Zest( I am assuming you mean him as the spangle opaline) has had 2 clutches with an opaline female with the outcomes being 9 chicks, and of them 3 opaline females, 1 normal female, 1 opaline male, and 4 normal males :)

Heres some pics of the babies... And Avacado has had the same outcomes when paired to another opaline hen. Go figure! :D

Attachments

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Susan, I think what we are trying tO say is sometimes when our birds are split for something , they show certain characteristics of that mutation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.