Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell the difference?

I have three yellow face birds in my flock although on is really pale yellow and the two, other birds have deep, rich yellow faces. The two with yellow faces that are deep in colour would probaly still be considered a yellow face although there faces are intense yellow???

Pictures can be supplied.

So i guess my question is would you say my birds are Golden faces and if not, what is the definition of a golden faced bird :)

·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the pictures.

Jack - pale yellow face

Coco - darker yellow face ... golden face?

Oscar - golden face???

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
They all look like yellowfaces to me, first one looks a type 1 second 2 look type 2 which usually has a deeper yellow anyway.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
1st one type 1 yellow face next two are both Green series birds their faces are yellow anyway there is no type 1, 2 or Golden face all green series birds have a yellow face/head

this is a golden face

Here are the pictures.

Jack - pale yellow face

Coco - darker yellow face ... golden face?

Oscar - golden face???

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
1st one type 1 yellow face next two are both Green series birds their faces are yellow anyway there is no type 1, 2 or Golden face all green series birds have a yellow face/head
I have seen pics of her birds more than just the face... they are not green series ;)

I wish I could be of more help, but I am not very good about picking between the yellowface 2 and golden face myself :giggle: :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They are not green series birds. The first one looks like type 1 yellow face and the other 2 look like type 2 but we need pictures of the whole bird.

The problem with identifying the 3 different yellow face types is that there are always other things that affect their appearance. A single factor golden face sky blue will often turn completely green after it's first moult but sometimes the same thing will happen with type 2 (The darker shades usually retain some blue). A double factor golden face or type 2 will often look like a type 1. Although the official standard says that the yellow should not spread in a type one it often does spread a little. Another problem, particularly with pet birds, is that different yellow face types are interbred so you could end up with a mixture of types in the same clutch. The only real way of being sure is by studying the bird's ancestry

Also the quality of the photo can make one type look like another.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
how are they not green series? The 1st one (well 2nd picture) looks like a light green Grey wing (if its not then a lot of people around here really don't know their mutations like people swear they do Because I had one identical and that's what i was told by the "experts" she was) and the 2nd one (3rd pic) Has Green around its neck and that is GREEN not Sea foam green from the yellow bleeding in on a blue series bird

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
how are they not green series? The 1st one (well 2nd picture) looks like a light green Grey wing (if its not then a lot of people around here really don't know their mutations like people swear they do Because I had one identical and that's what i was told by the "experts" she was) and the 2nd one (3rd pic) Has Green around its neck and that is GREEN not Sea foam green from the yellow bleeding in on a blue series bird

Have a look here ATV you can see more pics of them not so close up, they are blue series with alot of yellow spreading :)

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=63601

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=61095

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

Have a look here ATV you can see more pics of them not so close up, they are blue series with alot of yellow spreading :)

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=63601

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=61095
Thanks the 1st link the bird looks like a clear flight pied - the clear patches around the neck, clear flight feathers and tail :)

2nd link - the other bird in question on this post - IF that is a blue series bird then i now know to take what i'm told about my birds with a grain of salt from some people around here. I was told mine was 100% no doubt about it she was a Light Green grey wing (I put her with a violet male and got all green series birds and they all looked like her ) and mine looked Identical to this one Only female

·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

No they are right. It is my fault for not showing you the whole picture.

I did think that Coco was a green but Oscar is a YF2 sky blue spangle and not green :)

Here they both are together

Oscar is the right and Coco is the left

Thanks for your help so far everyone :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Funny to see a photo of my own bird on this thread :giggle:

This is my bird:

She is in fact a goldenface and has produced many goldenface chicks singles and some double factors when paired to another goldenface :D

I also think your Coco is a green series greywing, Oscar a YF2 and Jack a YF1

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

No they are right. It is my fault for not showing you the whole picture.

I did think that Coco was a green but Oscar is a YF2 sky blue spangle and not green :)

Here they both are together

Oscar is the right and Coco is the left

Thanks for your help so far everyone :)

Ok i see now coco is blue series but oscar still looks like a Light green grey wing I'll dig out my pics of mine and post them in a minute
Funny to see a photo of my own bird on this thread :giggle:

This is my bird:

She is in fact a goldenface and has produced many goldenface chicks singles and some double factors when paired to another goldenface :D

I also think your Coco is a green series greywing, Oscar a YF2 and Jack a YF1
Your beauty is on Google :D that's how I found the picture :) I like going through the budgie pics on Google and saying Hey thats my bird, so is that one and that one is too LOL - oddly it makes me feel good :p

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Okay here is the one i was talking about that I was told by many people and "experts" she is a Light Green Grey wing - like i said earlier I put her to a blue series male and the babies all looked like her Color wise .

1st one on the left

her babies from the 1st blue series male

and I was told many many many times She was a Light Green Grey wing, I don't have her any more so I can't get recent pics. but the blue tinge in some of the pics only showed up in pics she didn't have it when you looked at her in person

One I'd kept from a different blue series male

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I am so confused now :D

you and me both lol

Because I sold her as a light Green grey wing since that is what every one swore up and down she was and since she was put with 2 different blue series boys(both were different types of blue as well) and never had blue babies - she was a Green series bird all her babies were green like her some darker some lighter because of the Dark factor of the dad but in the end they were all like mom

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
you and me both lol

Because I sold her as a light Green grey wing since that is what every one swore up and down she was and since she was put with 2 different blue series boys(both were different types of blue as well) and never had blue babies - she was a Green series bird all her babies were green like her some darker some lighter because of the Dark factor of the dad but in the end they were all like mom
If she was paired to a blue series bird and produced green chicks she was a green series as birds can NOT be split to green, it is dominant, if a pair produces green chicks one of the parents must be a green series.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Pictures of other birds won't sort out the mutation. Look under Coco's wings to see if if you have a blue series bird or a green series. The color doesn't change as much under the wings as it does on the rest of the bird.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

If she was paired to a blue series bird and produced green chicks she was a green series as birds can NOT be split to green, it is dominant, if a pair produces green chicks one of the parents must be a green series.

I'm well aware of that I'm not new to birds or mutations or breeding or how any of it works, I was stating that my bird and her babies look identical to one of the OP birds and she's being told her's is a blue series bird and i was told mine was Green - how can 2 identical colored birds be 2 different colored series

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.