Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 56 Posts

· Member of the Month January 2013
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got another call today. Just got back. First pictures, then questions.

Jumped right out and on to the shoulder

Then I got him/her on my hand

Ok now the questions.

She was found on a rooftop at the hotel a couple weeks ago. It was 110° and she was thirsty. So a guy picked him up and gave her some water. She rode around all day on his shoulder and he took him home. (Just switching the him/her around as I dont know).

He said you can just reach in and grab her and you can pet him too. When I got home and took her out of his cage she squaked a bit but I got her pretty quick and there was no biting at all. Once out she went to my shoulder first thing. Then I got him on my hand and then she tried to fly away. He can fly but not well. maybe 6 ft no more . I went to check to see if the wings were clipped and she panicked and screeched so I stopped. Then I slowly opened a wing and all the feathers are fine.

There are lovebirds mating and nesting all over the property and I am going to assume by the black beak and small size this is a baby. Would this be correct?

She was given the seed treat bars, like perches, and seed to eat but I did not see any other seed other than the honeysticks in the cage.

I am giving him Australian mix and TOPS crumpletts tonite and will give kale and try some veges and fruit tomorrow also.

All in all she looks pretty healthy and as I am on vacation this week I can spend some time with him and take her to the vet to be checked out.

So anyway thats where we are now. Any advise would be wonderful as this is my first Lovebird.

Now to come up with a his/hers name :D.

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for the kind words and advise. They said how friendly it was, thinking it must of been lost from another owner. When I saw it I knew right away it was just a baby. You have seen pictures I have taken of the Lovebirds around the hotel and from where it was found there are about 5 nesting groups I have seen.

She is definitely calm when you hold her. He will run at first when I approach the cage but I just reached in and she got on my hand right away. We snuggled a couple times while I was sitting on the couch and she closed her eyes to sleep while laying on my chest.

I am home all this week so it is perfect timing for some bonding. I am working in the yard in the mornings and by 9-10am it is too hot already so I will be in most of the day.

I will check with the vet today if they are open. If I remember right they are open on the weekends and closed Monday or Tuesdays.

Let you know when I get her checked out. I will do a DNA test also so I know :D.

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a 10am appt. this morning for a checkup and DNA test if its not too much. I have used this vet before and she was the only certified avian vet in az. at the time I used her before.

So it's off to the shower and then off to the vet. Only $51 for exam but I am sure it will add up if we do blood testing also.

See you when I get back :).

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Vet checkout went well. She weighs 44g and appears pretty healthy. A little wear on tail tips maybe from poor diet she said.
Took blood for DNA and Psittacosis results in 7-10 days. Supposed to do followup visit in two weeks but will probably bypass if test comes back clear. May go back for more blood tests but if all looks good from this visit and with the good diet and ACV, will probably wait for yearly exam time.

Taking a nap after the vet visit. Sorry for the blur but if you look closely the bars are in focus :)

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The vet also guessed a girl. But we will know for sure with the DNA test. Just made egg,wild rice,celery,kale and added soluviteD. All the flock is chowing down on it but Lovebird is just looking at it. I am sure he will eat some soon though :).

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Fooled her today. I put the egg food in this morning and sprinkled a very few seeds on top of it. He ate all the seeds first but now has beaks full of egg food. She is chowing down on the egg food like she has always loved it :). Tomorrow I will try a vege mash and I may make a batch of birdy bread today also.

I have some basil outside I will hang in the cage later. He is starting to play with the chew toys in the cage.

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
While I was rearranging the kitchen and watching her play I noticed something funny. I have a hanging toy that hangs to within an inch or two of the bottom. He was on the bottom laying with the hanging rope and beads when her foot fell through the grate. He kind of jumped back looked madly at the grate gave it a couple of pecks and then she went back to playing with the toy :). He did it again and just stared at the bottom grate with a warning look and tilted head then back to playing.

Silly birds :).

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
She weighed 44g when he was weighed at the vets. Right now I weighed him on my scale and she weighs 47g. Will weigh him weekly to see as she is just a baby.

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yes going to wait.....maybe. So far Clover sounds good but as her own character develops we will chose an appropriate name.

4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
She is only a baby(probably 8 weeks) so it is a good weight, they weigh 40-60g as a species and females are usually a little larger. At this age and this weight is why she thought maybe he was a female. And she has gained 3g since monday :)

1 - 13 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.