Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So here they are I got them today they need a nail trim and their feet are a bit twisted due to the over grown nails but I hope i can correct this.

These guys were unwanted as the lady who bought them "couldn't tame them" she handed them over and was off like a shot. One was called William the other was Damien they are now called Bonnie (william is female) and Benny they are in quarenteen but I got a few pics.

I think Benny is a grey Dom pied

and Bonnie is YF2 cobalt Opaline cinnamon ?

Also if I had to guess the age I would go with about 9-12 months what do you think the lady got them from a pet shop 6 months ago the whites of the eye are still very small and a bit cloudy !

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and one more thing is there anyone clued up enough to know if they are likely to be related .......obviously coming form the same shop at the same time and same age would suggest they prob are related but is there anyway to tell from the 2 very different mutations if they cant be related ??

·
Going Bird-Crazy
2,444 Posts
Aww, congrats on rescuing the two from unwanting (I know that's not a actual word, but ok) hands. Poor guys. They are beautiful birds, btw.:)

Like you said, due to the big differences in color mutations, there's a high chance they aren't related. Usually the siblings I see in pet shops are either obviously siblings (meaning they all look the same), or share some sort of mutation at least. But I'm not a budgie breeder, so I don't know much about this.

If you really are concerned, there's always blood testing (I believe for this stuff, yeah) available.

Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
They are so beautiful! You are right on the sexes and I think the mutations too :) Based on their color mutations, I highly doubt they are related, but I guess you really never know. Her baby bars look to be a little more forward than his are. Do they have the same leg band on? I got both of my newest budgies from petco 2 months apart and they have two different colored leg bands.

·
Member of the Month March 2013
2,266 Posts
Aww they are lovely, how could anyone not want them :( I am glad you found them and we able to give them a loving home :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are so beautiful! You are right on the sexes and I think the mutations too :) Based on their color mutations, I highly doubt they are related, but I guess you really never know. Her baby bars look to be a little more forward than his are. Do they have the same leg band on? I got both of my newest budgies from petco 2 months apart and they have two different colored leg bands.
You are right the bars are further forward but she has whites around her eyes and they were bought on the same day 6 months ago so it confuses me a bit (easily done LOL) and no leg bands (yet I will be putting my bands on)

I have been watching her she seems slightly splayed and her twisted toes are awful due to the super long nails ... his are bad but not like hers. They have had 2 thick plastic purches they cant grip around and that is all in the cage so no wonder they are like this I have never needed to clip the nails of my birds as I have so many different perches and calci perches.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
How gorgeous! You are such a good person for building a flock this way! I can't believe people would toss a bird out instead of taking them to a rescue or shelter! I think I will follow your example if I ever decide to breed for reals! I think your karma is getting you some gorgeous birds too! That grey Dom pied is making me drool!! They will be so happy with trimmed nails and good perches and fresh food! Good luck!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ........ I always feel really lucky that People want to give me their birds Because I always feel like its an exciting gift like at xmas LOL they will be just fine now x

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
If my understanding is correct, and ignoring all the other mutations, the Grey factor is dominant, which would mean it is unlikely the YF would be a colbalt. They may have been from the same breeder but different parents. Though, pet stores here often get birds from a variety of breeders and house them together. They also introduce new birds to current stock. So just because a bird was brought on the same day from the same store does not mean they are related, or that they came from the same breeder.

Either way you have two absolutely gorgeous birds who will be having a much happier life with you. Congratulations, and feel free to send them to my place on a permanent holiday :D

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I see light grey iris rings on both of them. It is possible they are related. But no one could know for sure. If dad was an opaline grey dom pied and mom was a normal YF blue series, both these mutations are possible (there are other ways these mutations could come from the same parents). You will not know.

And I think you have the mutations right Though I would've said YF 1 but sometimes it's hard to see mutations clearly in photos.

Beauties! Congrats!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see light grey iris rings on both of them. It is possible they are related. But no one could know for sure. If dad was an opaline grey dom pied and mom was a normal YF blue series, both these mutations are possible (there are other ways these mutations could come from the same parents). You will not know.

And I think you have the mutations right Though I would've said YF 1 but sometimes it's hard to see mutations clearly in photos.

Beauties! Congrats!
Thank you ....... I think YF2 because you can see some greeny patches on the body colour on the back between the wings where the yellow has crept through.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I agree, the male is a grey sf dominant pied, and the female a cobalt opaline cinnamon sf yellowface I.

Sf Yellowface I can have a small amount of yellow spreading, where as a sf yellowface II has a lot of spreading over the whole body which your girl does not seem to have unless the pictures do not show her true color :) Here are some examples of the 3 common yellowface mutations and their 6 different appearances: http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.weebly.com/yellowface-i-yellowface-ii-or-goldenface.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.