Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As promised in an earlier thread (refer "mystery bird from Dries", http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=78530&page=4)...

...I took these recent pictures showing how one of my **** birds body colour almost keep on changing...not as often as weekly, but every "so often month" there's another varying colour pattern visible in the body colour....

Here at 7-weeks age:-
7wks_Budgy02-2011_0173e1s.jpg

Here at 3 months (or a bit older,after 1st moult!):-
3months_Budgy04-11_0208e1s.jpg

3months_Budgy04-11_0210e1s.jpg

..and most recent at 9months:-
9months_Budgy1011_0039e1s.jpg

9months_Budgy1011_0043e1s.jpg

(he was a "New Year baby"!..he,he!)

In between at around 6-months he only had a single bright yellow-spot on the lower chest, this has now gone...and another 2 yellow-spots have since appeared, replacing the former ..with one spot above each hip!

Any idea(s) on what is happening here....will such changes continue, or is there a gene involved that causes such changes?

Any help will be good!

Enjoy,and stay well!

JacodK
PS-Maybe me and Dries (that both do colony breeding)should stop confusing the TB members...but it's all fun and a learning experience!....thx!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It almost looks like different birds!! Very interesting. Although it is a beautiful bird, he was absolutely a stunner in the beginning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...thanks Dries....

Yes,and I'm almost certain there is no "pied" in the mix....albeit that the two "separate yellow spots on lower belly"...now appear to start merging into a "Stripe across the belly" (simlar to pied)?

...really peculiar?!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There are always changes in colour when a bird matures or moults. Most shades will brighten after the first moult. The 3 yellow face mutations show the most obvious changes because the yellow spreads as well as brightens after each moult.

The stripe across the belly is unusual

Violet is another shade that can look quite different each year on the same bird

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That is so cool! I knew budgies change colors after their first molt, but I never thought that would happen...!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is so cool! I knew budgies change colors after their first molt, but I never thought that would happen...!
Thanks Magic Birdie,
I was also very surprise when I started noticing these changes happen...but it's exciting...what will he look like next year this time, I wonder?....will post more pics, if any further change happens!

What a beautiful bird!! :)
Thx! yes, he's close to being my favourite...funny his brother (closely resembling him) and sister do not have the same colouration effects...the hen is now a more "sea-green", but in full-body shade..!

..but you have a great looking yellow-face bird yourself, don't you...is it just the one or more?

I love this post, and your bird. It's really pretty!
Wow, what a pretty bird!
Lisa
Thx Apolline/ Lisa! .. he's a good variation on my other birds...but I hoped the "vibrant cobalt blue" remain, like his brother...but hey, I enjoy them just as they turnout to be!!

..maybe he's a "mutation-within-a-mutation"...he, he!

Are there any other TB-birds out there having similar changes...why not post some of yours?!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are always changes in colour when a bird matures or moults. Most shades will brighten after the first moult. The 3 yellow face mutations show the most obvious changes because the yellow spreads as well as brightens after each moult.

The stripe across the belly is unusual

Violet is another shade that can look quite different each year on the same bird
Thanks for the advice Nev,

Just wondering...is there any resemblance between the dad's "green-spot" on a "yellow-bird" and these "random-spotted" occurence in the **** bird featured here....or is it difficult to tell?

The dad (shown below), also has an "interesting random-spot" of colour...but I'm still not sure what genetics he carries...spangle for sure, maybe violet (as some babies showed it)....

July-2010_0059e1.jpg

What do you think about the dad, and the "stripe- / random-spot" patterns?

Thx again!

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Gradual color change-----

Hi,

What an outstanding bird!!!

Blessings.

Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaco, all your budgies have the most beautiful colours! Where have you been lately?
sadly...at work!....so..

..too little "family, play, home, birds..."....

..but it will still last until December Construction close...hope we don't work until midnight Christamas eve though...crazy engineering/construction industry....

..especially if the "Mining agents" want to ship out the iron ore, etc from Africa "over-night"....

As the saying goes "too much haste....too little speed!"...

good to be back at times!

All of the best to all!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

What an outstanding bird!!!

Blessings.

Jo Ann:budgie:
You have quite colourful and unique birds!!
Jaco, all your budgies have the most beautiful colours! .....
Thx to all ..for your admiration!

Wonderful birds, these "budgies"!...just gifted to us....sometime I can only wonder how I got to "mix-them-up" so much....whether correctly so or not?

...but alas I say "Genetics (such as in these little ones), are a GIFT from GOD to mankind!"

As you said, I'll enjoy them while I can!

·
MOTM December 2011
3,090 Posts
That is one stunning mutation! Who were the parents and grandparents? Are you going to keep him as a breeding bird or pet?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Interesting combination of colors in your male budgie. Much more variety than in most budgies. Bird also appears confident as some of the stance in photos show. Nice bird.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.