Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pairs - a Grey **** - show type - and a Green hen - pet type - gave me the loveliest Violet I ' ve ever seen. The green hen gave me chicks before, but never violets - she is split for blue, because some of her babies were blue and grey. I didn't know that she was a green violet, but I always thought there was something strange. I want to know what to look for to know if a green is a violet, because there are some green babies as well and I want to keep some if they are violets as well. I'm going to try too get a pic of her, but I know it is difficult to identify violet on a green bird - especially on a pic.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are the best pictures I have at the moment. I'll try to get new ones if this doesn't help.
Bird Parrot Beak Fish Parakeet

Bird Eye Organism Parrot Beak

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,824 Posts
Hi Dries. She is a lovely Dark Green and because she is split to blue and if the **** bird is the one in your avi he is also a Dark Factor bird and because Gey is a blue series bird is why you have violet and the fact that both your birds are carrying the violet gene. The hen is often called a Violet Dark Green because she is carrying the violet gene.

I had paired 2 lovely grey birds and got a Violet Sky which visually looks like a Cobalt but the tail feathers have a strange turquoise sheen to them make them the Violet Sky, these birds often have an area of violet flushing in the back or side of the head.

This article by Cyril Rogers may help. The violet gene is a very complicated gene and can be very difficult to understand.

http://www.bestofbreeds.net/cyrilrogers/article6.htm

This is one reason why the Violet's are not that common, understanding the genetics is difficult so many people don't try to breed them and usually when they get them it is an accident.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply - I'll check out the article. The grey in my avi is not the one I'm talking about - but the son of him. I'm almost a 100% sure that don't carry the violet genes, because I have the family tree of these greys. I think that only the hen is the carrier of the violet gene.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Green with violet

Hi,

Check under the tail near the vent. There should be violet feathers. We breed violets from violet dark green and olives all of the time. I have an Olive spangle up with a violet dark green hen and have 2 very dark violet normal chicks and 2 possible olive spangles. It takes a long time to be sure about the olive spangle. The cheek patch is very dark purple. the cheek patch is lighter in the violet dark green. The violet in the normals is so dark , they may be mauve, but it is too soon to be sure. Mauve is a very dark gray with a pinkish violet tinge. Best way to tell is to put a gray next to a mauve. The olive will not have violet under the tail. and the green is a very deep rich green. It took a full year to be sure my olive spangle was olive and not just violet dark green like his sister. The hen was a normal violet double factor and the **** was dark green split blue spangle that produced the olive spangle ****. IE the grand parents were paired because they had the potential for olive and more double factors in future generations. I hope this helps. I am really looking forward to these new babies growing up. To get a double factor go to an experienced breeder who is a violet breeder. My very first English was the double factor Violet normal hen and I was requesting that genetic make up when I went to the breeder. The top photo shows the violet feathers under the tail -turn bird over for better view. Cobalt can produce the violet if properly paired.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic of baby!

Here are some pics of the baby:

Finger Fence Beak Nail Bird

Leaf Beak Creative arts Grass Tail

Although he is a mix between a pet type and show type he is as big as my 100 % show type babies. Wonder how he will develope. I'm going to keep this one for sure!

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Green with violet

The chick is beautiful. and good size, a for sure keeper!!

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.