Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two budgies, Sunny and Shayne. Shayne died of cancer in December. My husband has been playing budgie sounds on YouTube for Sunny when nobody is home.

We have since gotten a new budgie, Twilight, to be a companion for Sunny. They have been together for a little while now but sleep in two separate cages in the same room. During the day they are cage free when we are home.

At first, Sunny didn't accept Twilight at all (which we expected). Twilight was in Sunny's face trying to make friends at first, even squishing her up against the wall of the cage. Twilight likes to be shoulder-to-shoulder while Sunny wants more room.

Now that it's been a while, Sunny tolerates Twilight, allowing her to get about an inch away, but is not friendly, like "I'll put up with you but you are not Shayne." There is no grooming or any behavior like that.

Twilight doesn't like being rejected, and will actually land on top of Sunny, or even push her off the perch. We have given Twilight a 'time out' in the cage for 10 minutes or so when she picks on Sunny too much.

Sunny is gentle, but has never been especially friendly. She only landed on our shoulders if Shayne was there. Shayne was the outgoing one.

I'm hoping that the two will eventually become friends and do understand that this will take time. I think Sunny is starting to heal, because the other day I heard her sing for the first time since Shayne died.

I'm looking for some feedback. I'll post a pic of Twilight when I get home. Oh, and by the way, they both have vet insurance. Shayne's illness was very expensive and she was uninsurable.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
How long has it been since Shayne passed?

Not all budgie become friends and Sunny and Twilight may or may not over time.

If Twilight is annoying Sunny during out of cage time, then you'd be better off to give them out-of-cage time separately so Sunny can actually enjoy herself.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
What you are going through right now with Sunny and Twilight is an example of the challenges one faces when getting additional budgies.

There is no guarantee two budgies will get along and there is no way to force the situation if one prefers the other give it space.

The best you can do is give Sunny and Twilight very limited closely supervised out-of-cage time together.

Over time, Sunny may come to be more accepting of Twilight.
However, it is necessary you be prepared to give them separate out of cage time as well as continuing to house them separately on a permanent basis.

http://www.talkbudgies.com/articles-general-budgie-info/392442-your-harmonious-flock.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, FaeryBee. Most of the time, however, they are not fighting. They often are sitting together contentedly. I plan on keeping them in separate cages at night and when we are not home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.