Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, apologies for just up and asking rather than finding out myself but I've been trying to get my head around budgie genetics (just the possible phenotypes for now, ouch), which naturally has lead to me puzzling over my birds but only one is really confusing me. Backstory:

Knowing nought about budgie colours, nor being particularly fussed, I thought three different colours would be prudent, and I was rather taken by the grey, so took a grey baby and her blue brother (to go with my green boy).

But looking at young Harrison, she really does look a very washed out, grey-purple. And she seems to be getting purple-er. She's no violet for certain but I can't see her growing up into the deep grey colour I've seen on adult budgies!

Reading this on violet factor gives the impression a white budgie with grey factor wouldn't show any violet if she had any, but leaves room for doubt. :confused:
*************** said:
Violet factor is a color-adding factor. However, it is not as strong as the grey factor. If a budgie has a violet factor, you may or may not know it. True violet only shows up on cobalt budgies (white-based budgies with one dark factor) or, if double factor, on sky blue budgies(white-based budgies with no dark factor).
All I can tell is she's cinnamon. And probably female. :p Help? (Colour does not show up in the pictures correctly at all, but worth a crack :D)

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Hi there :)
Violet and grey factors can both co-exist on a budgie. I have 3 birds who are violet-greys, and 1 looks more grey and 2 look more violet.
I can't see the pictures very well. But here is a picture of my Smore (a violet-grey ****) when he was still fledging, and another picture to show how his violet intensified over the grey when he went through his first moult. Maybe you can compare your sweetie to him :)
Then:

Now:

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
firstly, she is a pretty opaline cinnamon grey, but as far as the violet goes...it is tricky.

greys come in shades of deep grey through to blueish greys even without the violet factor added. i would expect a violet grey to have violet cheek patches, similar to a blue or green bird, where as a normal grey has blue or grey cheek patches.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! Thank you. She definitely doesn't look anything as purple as your boy, so we'll have to see what she ends up. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, that's really helpful tonic. Just went and looked at her and she seems to have grey cheek patches so she probably just is a pale bluey-grey. She definitely seems almost a lavender colour but it's so faint I think she's not got violet. Maybe. :laughing2:

Also yay for opaline! I was leaning toward her and her brother being opaline and the older boy being normal but I wasn't 100% sure from peering at comparative pictures. :p

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I agree with Toni's comments but also the cinnamon washes out the body colour which would make the violet even harder to detect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.