Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance, but my Double u key is broken! D: So I can't type them, instead I've been replacing them vvith double v's. :rolleyes:

Alright. I think I'm pretty sure vvhat color my little Geist is, but I just vvant to double check vvith budgie experts! He's obviously green. XD VVether or not he has a dark factor is kinda hard to tell because his feathers are so diluted.

And he's either Greyvving, Clearvving or a dilute. I read that Greyvvings have faded markings, vvhich Geist has. But his are much, much lighter than the Greyvving budgies I see in pictures.

He could be a clearvving, the only problem is that clearvvings have bright body colors, Geist does not. (Unless it has been diluted by a dark factor? idk)

Then there is the dilute? VVhich has both light, faded markings and a vvashed out body color. I believe Geist is a dilute but I just vvant to double check! I'm still kinda nevv to budgies.

Any opinions on this vvould be great. :D

Pictures!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
To me he looks like a Grey wing - I think the markings for grey wings on a Green series bird is harder to see Because of the yellow background compared to it on a blue series bird and the grey would be on a white background making it stand out more.

Also awesome way to make W's when your keyboard isn't working right :D

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Sorry I had to giggle ar your vv, it's making me read it in a different accent XD

He does look greywing to me as his markings don't appear light enough for clearwing, however I am sure Nev can confirm.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
lol From your thread title, I thought you were Russian. :D

Your bird is a real cutie! :loveeyes:

I'm glad a couple experts responded. In the first pic, I see a tinge of brown. Do the experts think he's cinnamon?

I do think he's too dark for dilute; the hen in my signature is a dilute.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
lol From your thread title, I thought you were Russian. :D

Your bird is a real cutie! :loveeyes:

I'm glad a couple experts responded. In the first pic, I see a tinge of brown. Do the experts think he's cinnamon?

I do think he's too dark for dilute; the hen in my signature is a dilute.
I would have expected cinnamon markings to be darker, his markings don't match any of my cinnamons but they do match some of my greywings.
Don't have much experience with clearwings however so could still be one of those.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I'm not seeing any brown personally - but all monitors are different and right now All i have access to is my laptop so can't check on another one.

I think that's why we have such a huge range of Different opinions on some of the "What mutation is my bird" thread because every monitor shows pictures differently, Plus a lot of people actually change the settings off the default so they see it different than the next person - no wonder half the members are still confused on what their birds are We can't agree because our monitors don't agree :giggle:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derp! I just realized the greyvving budgie pictures I vvas looking at are Fullbody color greyvvings. XD

http://www.***************/v_greywingfbc5.jpg

This makes more sense. :D
Though, I don't think he is a clearvving either, since his body color is vvashed out.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Usually full body grey wings the body color is not washed out - but it is brightened

I'm really leaning towards Light Green Grey wing for your bird.

He may be a Dark Green Grey wing since the Grey wing does lighten the body color.. But to me it looks too light to be a dark green Grey wing

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, C: I vvas looking at the full bodycolor greyvving vvhen I first posted and vvhen ya'll vvere telling me he vvas a greyvving, I vvas like "Vvut! This markings are totally not that dark! XD"
But then I realized I vvas looking at full body color greyvvings and not normal greyvvings. derp! My mistake. :eek:

So it makes more sense to me that he is indeed a greyvving! XD

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think he's a dilute.

If you look at his cheek patches, they are very pale.

And I also think he has at least one, and maybe two dark factors. If he were a light green, with no dark factors, the dilute mutation would make his body color look almost yellow.

It's funny that someone also brought up cinnamon. Because I thought I saw a tinge of brown in his grey markings. When cinnamon is combined with greywing, it washes everything out even more. But it is hard to tell visually, because the markings don't look very brown. Just grey.

I still think we should wait for Nev's input before we decide he is a greywing. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooh, interesting. :0 *rubs chin* I'm curious. XD Can't vvait to see vvhat Nev says.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm going to say he's a greywing dark green (or greyvving dark green for you ;)).

Here are a couple pics of my similar cutie. He's an opaline possibly-cinnamon greywing dominant pied green (dark factors unknown). (See Nev's response here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=76168.)

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hehe. XD
He could either be a dark/light green grevving or a Dark/olive dilute. Only experts can tell!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I also took a picture of his tail. c: If it helps in figuring out if hes a greyvving or dilute.

Please excuse the messy tail. XD I think the other budgies in the pet store cage vvere biting and bending it.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think he is a greywing dark green but it is very difficult to distinguish between a pale greywing and a dark dilute. Also a bird that is both cinnamon and greywing will often look like a pale greywing

Here's a picture of a cinnamon greywing whose mutations I am sure about from her breeding. Note the cheek patches and the pink feet which are visual clues to the presence of cinnamon

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi,

I'm just "in-and-out" quickly here at TB!..

...and thought I may very well ask a question or two...since I keep quite a few birds having the dil-gene and like them a lot..!

# Would the "brighter yellow wing feathers" (that only shows at some places) be a sign of Yellow-face (YF) in this green-series bird?....(knowing it's so much more difficult, unlike blue-series birds, to see such visually)...and will there be any signs for visual judging if a green-series bird is YF or not?

# Wouldn't this bird be opaline also...given that the "dark-green" body colour shows up in the wings?

Very nice bird Reese...has the "body colour shade" changed intensity over time..?

..always interesting to know if this happens with Greywing & dilutes...as one of my similar dil-gw birds definitely changed colour over time!...he was more dilute-sky blue gw (from mom), now he's more like just a green-gw?

# Here's a few pictures of "DiluteOne" at young & older age:

At 1 month:
Bird Hand Finger Parrot Nail

..then at 2 months:
Bird Parrot Organism Beak Parakeet

Bird Parrot Beak Natural material Parakeet

...now at 7 months:
Fin Organism Fish Underwater Marine biology

Enjoy your day!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nev- I see. :0 So he probably does have the cinnamon gene in there somevvhere as his feet are very pink! Geist does look very similar to your girl there, but his body color is not that bright. Though the fading effects of greyvving probably differs from bird to bird. XD

One question though! VVould cinnamon + dilute have the same effects as cinnamon + Greyvving? *curious*

Here's another picture of Geist for the heck of it! I love taking pictures of him. :eek:

Jaco- Thank you. :D As for the color changing, I'm not really sure! :eek: I've only had him for about a vveek. As a age guesstimate, I'd say hes betvveen 4 and 6 months old. As he has a clear cap, and dark grey iris rings. (vvhich seem to be lightening daily, so I'd put him closer to the 6 month mark.)

and that is a very interesting and pretty birdy you have there! :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.