Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the more I learn about genetics, I'm convinced Lorcan is greywing. He's sky blue dominant pied spangle but his spangle markings are extremely light and occasionally appear to be blue in the right light.

Behind him is Cirrus, who I plan to mate him with. Sky blue recessive pied greywing. Cirrus has very faint grey wings and her body color is very diluted. Could she be a full body greywing?

Lorcan:

Lorcan on the left, Cirrus in the back.

Is it possible that he's grey wing or is the only way to find out for sure, to breed him to another grey wing?

Also, breeding Lorcan to Orion (dark green spangle), gave me a possibly opaline male baby, Talvi. Talvi started out looking like a normal spangle but over molts he has gotten blue markings in his spangle and blue back of his head. It's impossible to get a picture of him, let alone one that shows his actual markings :rolleyes:.

Is it possible to breed two parents both split to opaline but none showing and get a male opaline baby?
If Lorcan is a greywing, could the grey be masking the actual opaline markings?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Lorcan's other mutation might be clearwing not greywing because his cheek patches and body color are bright. The greywing mutation would dilute the coloring. The dominant pied is not visible in these pictures. He is not opaline but he could be split for opaline

Cirrus is much too pale to be a full body greywing

To get a male opaline from Lorcan to Orion the male would have to be split for opaline and the female would have to be a visual opaline. Hens can't carry opaline in a split form. Many spangles show body color on the back of their heads and wings. It doesn't mean they are opaline

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.