Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have seen it on here a few times that in order to get a Greywing chick both parents must carry the gene either by being split to it or by actually being greywing.
Is this correct? And if so is it the same for full bodied greywings?

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is correct, Greywing is recesssive. So, like Recessive Pied, to get a Greywing chick you must have either: One parent Greywing, one split..Both split, or both Greywing.

If you only have one parent split for it or visually Greywing, you won't get any visual Greywing babies.

I'm not sure about FBC (full body colour) Greywings..I think it is the same.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Grey wing is recessive so yes both parents need the gene to get any

But I don't think Fully Body Grey wing is

I took what I was told was a Fully Body Grey wing (i thought she was just a Grey wing) to a Double Factor Dominant Pied (may of been recessive pied too) Who's base color was Violet

and Got Grey wings,and Full body Grey wings

This was the mom

This was the dad

These were their babies
all except the Albinos are theres

as far as I know the dad did not have grey wing but I was only able to breed him this one time he was an Egg eater I refused to breed him any more and sold him to a pet only home

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
To get a greywing chick either both parents must have a greywing gene OR one has a greywing gene and the other one has a dilute gene

To get a full body greywing one parent must have a greywing gene and the other a clearwing gene. OR if one parent is a full body greywing and the other parent has a dilute gene

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
To get a full body greywing one parent must have a greywing gene and the other a clearwing gene. OR if one parent is a full body greywing and the other parent has a dilute gene
ahh that explains why The babies mine had there was 1 or 2 clear flight but with the dad couldn't tell what all he had and i only bred him the one time I bred her with another male and didn't get any clear flights at all so it was the dad :)

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To get a greywing chick either both parents must have a greywing gene OR one has a greywing gene and the other one has a dilute gene

How does the dilute gene work?can it be hidden?

I have a full bodied greywing **** who I have paired to various hens one of which I did not breed so do not know her background, she was a yellowface opaline cinnamon green hen they produce all fbg chicks.
The other hens he has been paired to I have bred myself and can trace them back a way and there is no greywing/cinnamon or dilute in their genetics for as far as I can trace them yet they also produce fbg chicks with him :S

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
How does the dilute gene work?can it be hidden?

I have a full bodied greywing **** who I have paired to various hens one of which I did not breed so do not know her background, she was a yellowface opaline cinnamon green hen they produce all fbg chicks.
The other hens he has been paired to I have bred myself and can trace them back a way and there is no greywing/cinnamon or dilute in their genetics for as far as I can trace them yet they also produce fbg chicks with him :S
Genes can be carried for countless generations without showing and then pop up when the right pairing is made.

The dilute is recessive to normal, greywing and clearwing. So it can be carried by any bird without showing

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Genes can be carried for countless generations without showing and then pop up when the right pairing is made.

The dilute is recessive to normal, greywing and clearwing. So it can be carried by any bird without showing
Ah I see, think I'm getting there lol. Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

the terms recessive and dominant are only really valid when referring to how two different genes interact. so a gene can be recessive to some genes but not to others, which is how greywing works.

it is recessive to non-dilute type varieties, it is dominant to dilute and it is co-dominant to clearwing.

what this means is that if you have a bird with one greywing gene and one normal gene, it will be split greywing.

if you have a bird with two greywing genes, it will be greywing. if it has one greywing and one dilute, the greywing is dominant to dilute so the bird will be greywing.

co-dominant means that when the two genes are present together (sf for both) they produce a different look than either of the genes on their own (in df form) ... like an intermediate type. with greywing and clearwing you end up with a bird that has greywing markings but clearwing body strength = full bodied greywing.

other co-dominant genes include spangle, yellow faces and dom pieds. basically if the sf looks different than the df then there is some co-dominance occuring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.