Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I eventually got another budgie, and my sister as well. Having a few issues determining the color as I have not had to do so in a long while.

Mine is a green spangle recessive pied (I think...), but I can't tell if s/he is grey green or if greywing would give off that kind of coloring, or if s/he is both.

My sister's is obviously a skyblue spangle greywing.

Also, any ideas on genders? They're both siblings approximately 3 months old.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
I'm not sure about the mutations, but I do believe you have 2 females. :) I could be wrong about the yellow one though, as the picture is sort of blurry.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The first one looks to be a male to me because of the bluish/purplish cere.But I can't tell for certain because the picture is blurry. But I believe the second one is a female. I'm not too sure about the mutations though.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird is a recessive pied spangle. It's hard to tell the color from these pictures but possibly Type 2 yellow face mauve????. Looks male but the picture isn't clear enough to be sure

Your sister's bird is a spangle sky blue, it's not greywing. Looks female

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your bird is a recessive pied spangle. It's hard to tell the color from these pictures but possibly Type 2 yellow face mauve????. Looks male but the picture isn't clear enough to be sure

Your sister's bird is a spangle sky blue, it's not greywing. Looks female
I do believe that since it hasn't had time to even go through a molt, its not a Type 2 :p Type 2 usually manifests over a period of time with each molt, correct? They're only 3 months old, and so I don't think thats possible, of course I could be wrong...

As for the blue, the feathers looked grey to me, but I'm not going to question your judgement on this, as I know of your expertise in the genetics area. *Edit* I looked up other pictures. I suppose the feathers show up a bit lighter in spangles and aren't as black as they would be in a normal budgie.

Perhaps the pied is an olive or carries a violet factor? I know it would be hard to tell the violet factor in a yellow based budgie, but it is possible for them to carry it? From what I understand the violet factor would cause a darkening of the body feathers similar to a dark factor...

I also would think it would be a bit hard to tell the gender on the yellow and probably shouldn't have asked, as its so young and also a recessive pied. Oh well, I'll try again in a few months when they've had more time to mature. :rolleyes:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I do believe that since it hasn't had time to even go through a molt, its not a Type 2 :p Type 2 usually manifests over a period of time with each molt, correct? They're only 3 months old, and so I don't think thats possible, of course I could be wrong...
If it is yellow face it would be type 2 or golden face. Sometimes the yellow is already spread in the baby feathers. The reason I thought that it might be yellow face is that the yellow looks very pale except where the new feathers are coming through

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.