Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the concept, but i have a hard time distinguishing between some greywings and dilutes. I think it's because the degree of dilution can vary even within each mutation.

I thought it would help to see multiple photos of various birds who are either greywing or dilute.... or clearwing!

So, please share your photos of your budgies who have any sort of dilution!
Please include their mutations if you know them

And hopefully our resident mutations experts (you know who you are) can come along and clarify and explain further on the photos.

*~*~*~*~*~*

I'll go first....

Here is Puppy... he is a greywing. In addition to greywing he is also a clearflight pied.

This is Owl.... he is a spangle violet, and Nev says he is also a greywing.

*~*~*~*

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Greywings, dilutes and clearwings are often very difficult to tell apart because there are so many birds that seem to fit in between each catagory. Here are a couple of photos, the 1st one is a clearwing that has fairly dark markings, but not as dark as a greywing. The 2nd picture would be hard for most of us to indentify because it is a clearwing combined with cinnamon (it is also a type 2 yellow face sky blue)

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nev. Do you have any photos of Dilutes~?

Can you explain why Owl is a greywing and not a dilute~? Is it because even though his wing markings are very light, his body color is not as light as a dilute would be?

In my budgies above, Owl just seem so much more dilute than Puppy.... so i assumed he was a dilute and not a greywing..... i suppose it is the spangle that makes him appear to be so much more dilute~? But he is in fact a greywing, correct~?

*^_^*

Thanks!

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
those are very nice budgies..
i also find it very hard to identify dilute..i can usually idnetify cinnamon though

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can tell in the colour on his back ... under his flight feathers... the colour is dark and bright... he carries that dominant colour gene and will pass it on to his young ... where as a dilute is very very light in colour and often the wing markings are blended with the body colour...as with a spangle. nice budgie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.