Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to put my greywing male with a clearwing female I could expect 100% FBC greywings so long as my male is homozygous greywing (aka NOT carrying one greywing gene and one dilute gene), and my female is homozygous clearwing, right? If the male is homozygous greywing and the female is not, I would get 50% FBC and 50% regular greywings. If the female is homozygous clearwing but the male is not homozygous greywing, I would expect 50% FBC and 50% clearwings. And lastly, if neither are homozygous for their respective mutations, I would get 1/4 greywing, 1/4 FBC greywing, 1/4 clearwing, and 1/4 dilute.

Second question: My greywing male is also recessive pied. What does that do to the mix? My guess is nothing unless the female is split for recessive pied.

Third question: My greywing male is also opaline. Would I get rainbows with the previously mentioned cross? I think this is only possible if the male is not homozygous for greywing and is indeed carrying one greywing gene and one dilute (because that is what would give me the possibility of any clearwing babies). Or, of course, if neither are homozygous for their mutation (that also provides possibility for clearwings).

PS My male is also YF2.

Thanks! Bring on the corrections! Ha!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The only question I can answer is this one
Second question: My greywing male is also recessive pied. What does that do to the mix? My guess is nothing unless the female is split for recessive pied.
Your correct as long as your female is not split to recessive pied you won't have any recessive pieds - just some split to it - So it won't mess anything up visually.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If I were to put my greywing male with a clearwing female I could expect 100% FBC greywings so long as my male is homozygous greywing (aka NOT carrying one greywing gene and one dilute gene), and my female is homozygous clearwing, right? If the male is homozygous greywing and the female is not, I would get 50% FBC and 50% regular greywings. If the female is homozygous clearwing but the male is not homozygous grare homozygous for their respective mutations, I would get 1/eywing, I would expect 50% FBC and 50% clearwings. And lastly, if neither 4 greywing, 1/4 FBC greywing, 1/4 clearwing, and 1/4 dilute.

Third question: My greywing male is also opaline. Would I get rainbows with the previously mentioned cross? I think this is only possible if the male is not homozygous for greywing and is indeed carrying one greywing gene and one dilute (because that is what would give me the possibility of any clearwing babies). Or, of course, if neither are homozygous for their mutation (that also provides possibility for clearwings).

PS My male is also YF2.

Thanks! Bring on the corrections! Ha!
You are totally correct

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good stuff Erin,

Hoping your get nice FBC Greywings and Clearwings from this pair...do share pics when you can!

JacodK
PS-no good fortune on my end yet, with producing Clearwings...but as Neville said...you gotta have the correct gene!...and I'm not sure of my bird's dil-cw genes (fbc gw birds) are hidden or not / wrong pairings / too little "sampling / hatchling" percentages to date ?..oh, wish me luck!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff Erin,

Hoping your get nice FBC Greywings and Clearwings from this pair...do share pics when you can!

JacodK
PS-no good fortune on my end yet, with producing Clearwings...but as Neville said...you gotta have the correct gene!...and I'm not sure of my bird's dil-cw genes (fbc gw birds) are hidden or not / wrong pairings / too little "sampling / hatchling" percentages to date ?..oh, wish me luck!
Best of luck to you! I don't have my clearwing hen yet. Hoping to get one within a month. I've contacted a breeder who's within driving distance (sort of - 6 hours) and who will ship, so we shall see. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.