Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does the greywing gene work?

I have a pair: Normal skyblue **** and a goldenface skyblue violet opaline hen.

And I got two greywing chicks from them.

Here's the oldest

His body feathers are coming out a bright skyblue violet, not diluted.

And I was also wondering.. I know my male chicks from this pair will be split for opaline. How about the greywing? Is that sex linked as well? Don't know anything about that one :eek:

They are greywing right?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Hello there!

When both parents are split for greywing they can have greywing chicks, and no it is not sex linked like opaline, cinnamon, ino etc :)

I'm not sure about the other chicks being split to greywing though we'll have to wait for the experts on that one! :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello there!

When both parents are split for greywing they can have greywing chicks, and no it is not sex linked like opaline, cinnamon, ino etc :)

I'm not sure about the other chicks being split to greywing though we'll have to wait for the experts on that one! :)
Thank you that helps, I'm still a bit confused though. I thought hens couldn't be split? wouldn't it have to be visual? :S

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

greywing is recessive to normal, so both the parents must be split for it. hens can be split for most recessive varieties, just not the sex-linked ones like opaline etc.

if they turn out to have full body colour, rather than diluted, they could be full bodied greywings. That is a combination of greywing and clearwing, meaning your chick has received a greywing gene from one parent and a clearwing gene from another.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi there,

greywing is recessive to normal, so both the parents must be split for it. hens can be split for most recessive varieties, just not the sex-linked ones like opaline etc.

if they turn out to have full body colour, rather than diluted, they could be full bodied greywings. That is a combination of greywing and clearwing, meaning your chick has received a greywing gene from one parent and a clearwing gene from another.
Thank you, that was just the answer I was looking for and I posted this in another forum as well.

That just made perfect sense and I had no idea about full bodied greywings being a combination of those two genes.

I learn something new everyday :)

I'm just amazed that I had no idea any of my budgies were split for anything at all and out of my whole flock these two just bonded, how lucky for me I love the surprises :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.