Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the parents to three babies (one looks yellow, one looks white, one looks blue. but not sure yet!)

i dont have a CLUE about mutations

one person suggested :
I'm going to try. (I'm no expert). The white one is a df dom.pied skyblue (or cobalt) and the other one is a sf dom pied green.
have at it!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I would agree with Dries :) A Double factor domanant pied skyblue(and most likely something else like greywing, clearwing or something since she has so little markings, but its hard to tell without a front pic thats more clear), and a Single factor domamant pied olive green for the boy :)

Very pretty! :D

·
19,551 Posts
Thanks for the pic :)

Are her eyes red or black? They kind of look red in the one pic but it is probably just my computer :p

She has so very little markings I cant tell, maybe Nev or Tonic will come along and be able to tell you what else she is :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pic :)

Are her eyes red or black? They kind of look red in the one pic but it is probably just my computer :p
they are black, its prob just the camera. weird that her cere looks bluish here, but right now it is crusty brown (brooding) :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
The hen appears to have a sky blue rump and no black markings. (Does she have iris rings?) I think she's either a double factor dominant pied sky blue or a spangle dominant pied sky blue. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dominantpied To double-check her body color, compare it against the three blue birds on this website: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor

The **** bird looks like a dominant pied olive green. However, it's hard to tell his exact body color from the picture. Perhaps you can compare his body color to these three green birds: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor.

If we had pictures of the babies, then we might be able to pin down the mutation of the hen.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I would agree with Nefta :) A Double factor domanant pied skyblue(and most likely something else like greywing, clearwing or something since she has so little markings, but its hard to tell without a front pic thats more clear), and a Single factor domamant pied olive green for the boy :)

Very pretty! :D
Hey Lindsey. This is the first time I got something right - more or less and now you want to give Nefta the credit!!:hurt:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont worry, Dries, I quoted you specifically. At least I gave you credit :) thanks everyone! I appreciate it! Pics of the babies are on my signature, will update as they grow. Hard to tell right now as they are mainly pin feathers :)

·
19,551 Posts
dont worry, Dries, I quoted you specifically. At least I gave you credit :) thanks everyone! I appreciate it! Pics of the babies are on my signature, will update as they grow. Hard to tell right now as they are mainly pin feathers :)
Thanks. I feel much beter now:p
I tried to give you the credit too Dries by saying I agreed with you and you were right! :) I just wanted to add to it that the male was also a olive green, and that the female is something more than just DF domanant pied too ;)

·
19,551 Posts
Lol! O goodness I see what I did now :rolleyes:... I am sorry Dries lol! I was reading too many threads at the same time and getting all mixed up! :p

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I doubt that the white one could be a double factor spangle with so much blue showing. It is more likely to be a spangle pied. The pictures are not clear enough to tell the pied type pied type but because the blue is low on the body it is probably recessive pied

The male is a dominant pied green (probably olive)

I hope that these are old photos because the hen looks far too young to breed

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
okay the first picture is recent, the second picture IS old, from when i got her about two years ago. but she didnt seem that young to me then, maybe its just a odd pose. she does not have a white iris, but the mate does. i have had him maybe 6 months, when i got him he didnt have bars on his head. how old do they have to be to breed? by the way it wasnt a planned breeding and i probably wont breed again after this clutch
The hen has blue on her lower belly and her back. I will get better pictures to post one of these days...
also im a bit confused about the olive green. maybe its a bad pic? but he is bright yellow to me with the greenish/black stripes. (maybe its just called olive?) here is a picture of them again, the hen is the one in the middle, the male on the right.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
okay the first picture is recent, the second picture IS old, from when i got her about two years ago. but she didnt seem that young to me then, maybe its just a odd pose. she does not have a white iris, but the mate does. i have had him maybe 6 months, when i got him he didnt have bars on his head. how old do they have to be to breed? by the way it wasnt a planned breeding and i probably wont breed again after this clutch
The hen has blue on her lower belly and her back. I will get better pictures to post one of these days...
also im a bit confused about the olive green. maybe its a bad pic? but he is bright yellow to me with the greenish/black stripes. (maybe its just called olive?) here is a picture of them again, the hen is the one in the middle, the male on the right.
Budgies should be at least one year old to breed.

As Nev said, your hen is a spangle recessive pied sky blue. She's recessive pied rather than dominant pied because DP's have iris rings and RP's don't. The spangle mutation has removed her black head and wing markings.

The **** bird is dominant pied olive green. His iris rings are consistent with DP.

The shade of blue (sky blue, cobalt or mauve) and shade of green (light green, dark green or olive green) is determined by the bird's "dark factor." You can look at this website http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor to double-check your budgies' "dark factors."

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The yellow areas on your male are the clear patches from his pied mutation. His base color is in the dark areas

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The yellow areas on your male are the clear patches from his pied mutation. His base color is in the dark areas
got it, thanks! yeah i have been looking at that link all day ;)
cant wait to see what the babies turn out like! but im guessing more towards the dominant colors, im assuming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.