Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm convinced that two of my babies are half English(show).
Both are very large, especially the ****, without being "chubby". Piccolo is around 48-50gr, and Chiara steady 45-48gr. They don't have the typical show budgie head puffs to that extreme, but do have more poofiness than my other two, Buddy and Helios, who are 38-40gr.
Is there a way to tell if a bird is half and half?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Usually the head is bigger and they have the English budgie look(like the smooshed in face) some have bigger bodies some don't

here's a couple of mine

Shadow he was at least 75% English
He's the Grey one the albino beside him is 100% English (but she was also fixing her feathers in the pic but she is a BIG girl(not over weight just BIG)

This is one of their babies

and Another one

This is Storm her dad is Shadow from above her mom is Full American

This is one of Storms Babies The dad is 100% American -the one on the back wall

From the Front (same as above)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, both birdies in question have what you describe as a "smooshed" face. Chiara is still a baby, just coming out of first moult. Piccolo is about a year now I think.
I just snapped these two pics.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I'd say Chiara looks like she has some English Blood in her but

Piccolo doesn't look like he has any But if he does its a really small amount

some of my Full American's are bigger than others body wise some are just "big boned" I even have a very Dainty Petite one :D she's 4 years old and is just very petite a lot of people think she is a baby compared to the others but she's not lol

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Here is one of mine who is 100% American his head was huge with a body to match it he was bigger than most of my Americans but I had both of his parents so i know he's not English LOL

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty boy, I think Piccolo's head is much bigger though. Either way won't change anything, I love him. Just wanted to be able to tell of he has some.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A large show type budgie mated to a small pet type budgie will not produce chicks that are exactly half way between the sizes of the parents. So trying to estimate visually how much of each type they are cannot be done accurately. Show budgies are not a different breed from pet type budgies. They have just been selectively bred to produce bigger birds. This can happen anywhere not just in England. I recently had an extra large chick from a pair of pet type birds who I'm sure were not descended from show budgies.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies!
I'll keep calling them little piggies just in case :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.