Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just started breeding 2 years ago,and at the moment ive got a chick,whos half green half blue,split right down the middle vertically!!
ive never seen this before,so started looking on the web tonight about it..seems its a recognised thing,but extremely rare..

anything i should do or just normal??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually, it's not genetic. I think they call it a congenital mutation.. But it's not harmful. Just take care of it like you would a normal budgie.. and take pictures!:p

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If i recall rightly, its a result of two sperm fertilising an egg and not seperating properly into twins. Its undetectable in birds where all chicks are green or blue or what not as you cant tell the other side is different, but it is easily evident in a green/blue halfsider. I have also seen a blue/grey half sider and the grey side was also feather duster! Makes you wonder how a bird can be half feather duster eh? That same bird has gone on to father 5 chicks that i know of, none of which are half siders or feather dusters.

Keep this lovely gem :) I havent heard of any health problems that come from being half sider, but they are wonderfully gorgeous! Keep us updated with pics!

·
Member of the Month July 2008
8,357 Posts
Yes, nothing to worry about. Can we see more pictures, maybe some from the front?
:)
Sigrid

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
thats wonderful!
i wish i had one
hope to see more pics;)

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Wow he's beautiful! I'd love to see more pics.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Hi Ron. Guthwulf is absolutely right about how a half sider is formed.
Having two different sets of genetic material almost sounds like science fiction.
I've only seen one before that actually looked like he was one half of two different birds entirely. Beautiful and mysterious looking.

Can you let us see more pictures of him?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.