Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I wanted help on a particular theme, I have had Freddie for about a year and he's a generally very happy budgie, the most interactive bird I have ever had, he likes to sit on my shoulder or head or on top of the computer, in the mornings he is lovely but one of the things he likes to do evening times when I get back from work is to sink his beak relatively hard into my skin.

He's kind of stopped doing it on my neck but sometimes when we are playing or watching birdie videos together on YouTube he gets over excited and bites.

I don't think he's scared - I think he really enjoys doing it!

I would ideally like to discourage this behaviour but I read that reacting to biting can lead it to being an even MORE exciting thing to do. However it's hard not to react when the bird is clamped to my hand.

He's on his own now since my last bird died just before Christmas - could getting him a little friend calm down his behaviour?

I don't want to destroy the bond I have with him though, it is strong.

Any advice most welcome!

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you have a strong bond with him then I wouldn't recommend getting a friend. For biting, try to ignore it as best you can. But if that doesn't help, each time he bites, ask him to step up a couple times. He'll soon learn that when he bites he has to work and will stop. This has worked for me with one of my bitey girls.

·
Exceptional Service Award August 2017
1,096 Posts
As IHeartPieds has said, you could try redirecting his attention in another way, also:
Perhaps stop watching the bird videos, or watch only briefly if that gets him overexcited.
Rethink how you actually play with him - remember that birds don’t play in the same way dogs do - Ask yourself, could you actually be teasing/frustrating him and he’s telling you in bird language “no, not like that!”
Birds like to test things with their beak, chew and pull things - consider, giving him something (other then your skin) to play with when on your shoulder - you could wear a homemade necklace of strung bird safe beads, wooden chew pieces, jiggling items and shredder toys, or pin a bird toy onto your shoulder epaulette style. I doubt you’ll start any new fashion trend but it might help you avoid a few nips.
You might also want to look up ‘gentle beak technique’ :)

·
Super Moderator
18,892 Posts
My girl also gets over excited and bites; she doesn't mean to but she just does.

Budgies, especially those we have a very strong bond with, can read our body language just as we read theirs. When my girl bites, I turn to her with a hurt face and say "no, Mallorn, gently."

She has known for a while that "No" means "No", but over the years she has also learned that "gently" means that she's hurt me and therefore needs to lighten up on the beak. When I offer her my hand afterwards, if she is gentler with me I praise her heavily and smile at her. It seems to work as she rarely bites me and when she does, she knows she did the wrong thing. Maybe something like this would work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
JRS (Julia) comment is excellent. I have two budgies that are getting tame. They will both eat out of my hand and don't fly all over the cage when I chance water and food etc. However, if I give them treets from my hand the one that gets there first, tries to hoard the goodies. When the other one lands that bird will try biting my fingers. My solution was to put a wooden clothes pin on the tip of my middle finger. If he/she acts like they are going to bite I move the clothes pin into play and they chew on it. After that they are back trying to get some of the millet. The clothes pin was a goody to them and they leave my fingers alone. I also have a couple of clothes pins hooked to the cage. They nibble at them but it is a attraction like there other toys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.