·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all three 1.JPG

all three 2.JPG

all three 3.JPG

all three 4.JPG

all three 5.JPG I have rescued these three budgies on the 29th of December in my front garden!! They must have been out for a week, because our tenant in the flat have seen them since Christmas Day. They are very wild, but I used a pair of my other budgies to get them to the rescue cage.
Can you please tell me the mutations and age?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Are there aviaries around you? looks like a couple escapee's from some ones aviaries - these don't look like bird who've been living on their own in the wild for long

they all appear to be 8 months old

in the 1st pic closest to the camera - Female -yellow face sky blue dilute
2nd one is male cobalt Opaline
3rd is Light Green Grey wing - Female

·
Loyalty Award Recipient January 2015//Deactivated
3,928 Posts
They are beautiful. Let us know if you find their owner or if you keep them. They look really healthy for being outside for awhile.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well done catching such beautiful birds Owlet!

I would add that no.1 (as per ATVChick's post) is also a greywing...added to the Sky-Blue Dilute YF T1 already given....

Wonderful size bird especially this Greywing girl!...just look at the length "head-to-tail" compared to the others!...

Have a great new year ahead for you and family..and with these additions, we're looking forward to "baby pics"!

Stay well,

jacodk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good job on catching them! They're all so gorgeous!

The one female in the front in the first pic looks like she has the beginnings of scaly face mites to me :S.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

I would add that no.1 (as per ATVChick's post) is also a greywing...added to the Sky-Blue Dilute YF T1 already given....

Wonderful size bird especially this Greywing girl!...just look at the length "head-to-tail" compared to the others!...

Have a great new year ahead for you and family..and with these additions, we're looking forward to "baby pics"!

Stay well,

jacodk
a dilute can't be a grey wing too

[SIZE=+3][SIZE=-0]Mode of Inheritance:
Pure Greywings are genetically recessive to most varieties, but co-dominant with Clearwings and dominant over Dilutes (yellows and whites). They can be in combination with all varieties of budgerigar except the Dilute. In their most rudimentary state,
http://www.bcv.asn.au/Greywing.htm

[/SIZE]
nev90
11-10-2010, 03:42 AM

Edit #7810347083147103: Romeo might also be a dilute or a greywing, or both!Budgies cannot be both greywing and dilute at the same time. Greywing is dominant to dilute
http://talkbudgies.com/archive/index.php/t-62668.html

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Very pretty buds, they make a nice "set" if you know what i mean, all their colours look pretty together :)
Will you leave your budgies outside for a while (if the weather is ok) to see if they can call down any more budgies?
Good on you for managing to catch them all though, what a feat!!! :D they are lucky you found them :hug:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look rather healthy for living out in the wild. They must of been someone's pets. As for age-- they all mature. That's all I can tell you.

Mutations: female cobalt opaline, female light blue dilute, yellow-face I. Don't know about the male.
Thank you for the mutations!
I think they are from someone's aviary, but not used to human or tame. Here is a petshop near, but they keep them in groups of about 15(in one cage) in a tower cages about 45(w) x 30(h) x 50(d) in cm, and messy. So I do not want to return them to the petshop, if it is their's. At the moment all the places are closed till the 9th.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there aviaries around you? looks like a couple escapee's from some ones aviaries - these don't look like bird who've been living on their own in the wild for long

they all appear to be 8 months old

in the 1st pic closest to the camera - Female -yellow face sky blue dilute
2nd one is male cobalt Opaline
3rd is Light Green Grey wing - Female
Thank you for the mutations. Yes, I think they are escapee's, but not used to human.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Stay well,

jacodk
Jaco
Thank you,
I do not have space for them, I will keep the dilute one, if nobody is looking for them.
Happy new year to your family. We enjoyed our quick visit to Cape Town and I have seen new wild birds at Walvis Bay - adding to our birdlist.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are beautiful. Let us know if you find their owner or if you keep them. They look really healthy for being outside for awhile.
They are actually not so " healthy", because they eat a lot of cuttlefish bone and mineral block. A shortage of vitamines etc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very pretty buds, they make a nice "set" if you know what i mean, all their colours look pretty together :)
Will you leave your budgies outside for a while (if the weather is ok) to see if they can call down any more budgies?
Good on you for managing to catch them all though, what a feat!!! :D they are lucky you found them :hug:
Thank you.
Yes, they are beautiful. My aviary is at the back of the house and I feed the wild birds in the front. Flying over the house and hear my ones, I will always try to catch budgies if they are in the front garden. I have lost some of my own budgies 2 years ago, when my sister looked after them.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Type 1 yellow face greywing sky blue female (she is not pale enough for a dilute)

Greywing light green male

Opaline cobalt female

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Type 1 yellow face greywing sky blue female (she is not pale enough for a dilute)

Greywing light green male

Opaline cobalt female
Neville,
Thank you!! I always appreciate your knowledge of the mutations. I am now confused about the greywing sky blue female, but actualy I do not mind. She is so pretty!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.