Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Harvey

Have you been able to breed him? What are the results? Very interesting. Be sure to contact Lindsey(cutelilbirdies) here on TB to add to her work on mutations. This will make her day! He is beautiful.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budge:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is not mine. I wish he was. :) And if he was, I wouldnt breed him. I have never bred any budgies. Not yet that is ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is AMAZING!!! Wow, I wonder if the store has had any birdnapping attempts on him :) If I had him I would be on guard because people would probably want to steal him and breed him or sell him for a lot of money...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I saw this picture somewhere else. I thought it was photoshopped. The video makes me more of a believer though. It still seems unreal! How amazing nature works :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
That is so wild! He definitely illustrates the two-birds-in-one
part so completely! Thanks for sharing this :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you been able to breed him? What are the results? Very interesting. Be sure to contact Lindsey(cutelilbirdies) here on TB to add to her work on mutations. This will make her day! He is beautiful.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budge:
Likely he can't be bred, when this genetic anomaly arises, not only can you end up with two different colors, you can also get two different sexes in the same body resulting in an intersex person or animal, we don't use the word hermaphrodite anymore btw ^_~

Its very awesome, and is helping shed light on human genetic anomalies as well =3

I would bet money on them finding that this bird was both sexes, and not just simply male, it's bebn demonstrated in a few other birds, such as cardinals, eclectus, and chickens, in the past, I don't see why it couldn't be true of this budgie as well.

If you are interested, here's an awesome article on gyandromorphism in birds =3

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/03/12/sex-bird-gynandromorph-somatic/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Likely he can't be bred, when this genetic anomaly arises, not only can you end up with two different colors, you can also get two different sexes in the same body resulting in an intersex person or animal, we don't use the word hermaphrodite anymore btw ^_~

Its very awesome, and is helping shed light on human genetic anomalies as well =3

I would bet money on them finding that this bird was both sexes, and not just simply male, it's bebn demonstrated in a few other birds, such as cardinals, eclectus, and chickens, in the past, I don't see why it couldn't be true of this budgie as well.

If you are interested, here's an awesome article on gyandromorphism in birds =3

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/03/12/sex-bird-gynandromorph-somatic/
Just saw that after making my chimera comment. The bird may be a combination of both sexes, or of two genetic individuals of the same sex. This doesn't necessarily interfere with the ability to breed but the offspring may not have any unusual characteristics. I would vote for male though because the cere is not split in colour.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just saw that after making my chimera comment. The bird may be a combination of both sexes, or of two genetic individuals of the same sex. This doesn't necessarily interfere with the ability to breed but the offspring may not have any unusual characteristics. I would vote for male though because the cere is not split in colour.
The split isn't always totally perfect, it's possible that the cere just has more male cells then female cells, I look forward to seeing what they do find out about this little guy though =3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.