Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit my uncle in Ysysybwl in the Rhondda valley which is about 2 hours drive away from where i live so i dont get to see them very often which means i havent seen the budgies that he had off me, which i bred, in over a year.
The budgie i am referring to is a female called Chole and when my uncle had her off my she was a typical sky blue dominant pied budgie, although she was lacking the white band across her stomach.
When i saw her i had to do a double take as she looked completly different. She was white!
As i walked over to the cage she was missing lots on marking on her wings. Her wings were covered in markings now they are almost white.
Her body as well has turned white with only the smallest blue showing on her rump.
Ive read about this and it has a mottled budgie but i wanted to double check with you guys before i jump to conclusions.

Also i cant find any information online about genetics of the mottled mutation or how 'rare' it is. Any information would be great.

Thank, Tasha :)

This is her.....

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
She's lovely and very interesting!

My semi-educated guess is she's some type of spangle pied (spangle due to dark outline on some wing feathers).

What mutations were her parents?

Can you post a picture of her as a chick?

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her parets were
Father : sky blue dominant pied split cinnamon and opaline
Mother : light green opaline.

She deffinatly isnt spangle :p

This is her on the right as a chick about 6-7 weeks old:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I haven't seen this happen before.

As a chick she just looks like a sky blue dominant pied except that her body is very pale. Her wing markings look quite dark but if she was also cinnamon it would account for the pale body color. She does't look opaline as a chick but she does as an adult

The mottled mutation usually lose a few markings and body color at each molt but this bird seems to have lost everything at once.

It would be interesting to breed from her to see if the trait is heriditary. This would involve some carefully planned line breeding

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be interesting to breed from her to see if the trait is heriditary. This would involve some carefully planned line breeding
What would you suggest she be bred with?
I havent got any budgies that i can breed her with as she is related to them. But she is not related to her cage partner which happens to be male. He is a sky blue clearflight pied. (possibly split for opaline) Would that be good enough?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
What would you suggest she be bred with?
I havent got any budgies that i can breed her with as she is related to them. But she is not related to her cage partner which happens to be male. He is a sky blue clearflight pied. (possibly split for opaline) Would that be good enough?
When Nev said You need to line breed- that is Breeding to related males. So if you have her Grandfather, or an Uncle - just NOT a brother that's too close.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When Nev said You need to line breed- that is Breeding to related males. So if you have her Grandfather, or an Uncle - just NOT a brother that's too close.
Oh i see!
Well all i have to breed with is either
2 brothers
dad
An i do have half siblings which are 4 weeks old at the moment. Is that still too close. I have never done line-breeding before.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
peoples views are different on it but here's mine

I won't inbreed- to me this is Parent- child like mom - to son , Father to daughter. Brother to sister

But I will do Grandfather to grandaughter, Grandmother to Grandson (along with Great Grandparents and further down with The Greats(if I ever get that far lol), Aunts to nephews, Nieces to uncles.. and I've been considering Half Siblings But I'm not too sure yet if that is too close to being Brother- sister .. I can't find any info any where if that's too close.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah well thanks ATvchick95 youve been a great help. Its just a shame i dont have any other relatives for her to breed with as i didnt breed her parents.
I wonder what Nev has to say on the half siblings debate :p

·
3,676 Posts
If the trait is dominant it wouldn't matter too much what mutation her mate was but a normal is probably preferable

If the trait is recessive (which is more likely) she would need to be mated to a related bird who is likely to also have the gene OR she could be mated to two unrelated birds and then pair the offspring from each pairing together. Breeding her back to her father would be preferable to breeding her to a brother because only half of her genes have come from the same source as her fathers but all of her genes have come from the same source as her brothers. This type of breeding is often used by breeders to establish a new mutation or a strong family trait. Provided the birds don't have any weaknesses and it is not done too often there shouldn't be any problems

Normally I'm against inbreeding our birds but if there is a sound reason for doing so it is worth the risks

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the trait is dominant it wouldn't matter too much what mutation her mate was but a normal is probably preferable

If the trait is recessive (which is more likely) she would need to be mated to a related bird who is likely to also have the gene OR she could be mated to two unrelated birds and then pair the offspring from each pairing together. This type of breeding is often used by breeders to establish a new mutation or a strong family trait. Provided the birds don't have any weaknesses and it is not done too often there shouldn't be any problems

Normally I'm against inbreeding our birds but if there is a sound reason for doing so it is worth the risks
As there is only 1 unrelated budgie i can get hold of for her to breed with. If she was bred to this unrelated male. And the offspring bred to either the grandfather of uncle (or auntie depending on the sex of the chicks) would that be successful ?

·
3,676 Posts
If the trait is recessive there is only a 50% chance that her uncle would have the gene and about a 25% chance that her grandfather would have it

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the trait is recessive there is only a 50% chance that her uncle would have the gene and about a 25% chance that her grandfather would have it
It looks to be recessive as neither of her 4 siblings have this.
Do you think it would be wise to breed with one of her brothers?
Sorry for all the questions Nev. I just dont wanna do this wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.