Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
60,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hawk that frequently stops by my back yard. Although I was unable to get my camera in time to take his picture while he was on the fence, I managed to take a couple of pictures of him in the tree behind the back fence.

I thought some of you might like to see him. :)

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,238 Posts
this hawk is lovely! here is a pair here with their chicks that look just like this hawk! We have owls too! this scares me though, I always have my birds out supervised!

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Great pictures! There are a few falcons (quite similar to hawks) in my area too, but not so close to my home and I love to see their majestic flights and the way their behaviour changes when they spot prey up high in the sky and come gliding down to get it. :)

·
Administrator
60,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live next to a golf course so there is more wildlife in my area than one might expect for a suburb of D.C. and I love watching the hawks, foxes, and deer.

However, I'm not overly fond of the hawk coming to "visit" my back yard since I feed the squirrels, chipmunks and birds there.
Mr. Hawk was much to close to the squirrel house I have in the tree he was perched on and I was quite relieved when he moved on yesterday.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What a handsome fellow!
I have a few Cooper's that come to my yard, a few Red Tails that do fly-overs, a Kestrel that hangs around and a few hawks/falcons that I've not properly ID'd yet. When you feed outside birds you feed all the outside birds...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Debs
Thank you for sharing the photo's of the hawk!!
We do get nearly the same sparrowhawk here and some are visting our garden from time to time. It has visited the wildbird waterfeature one morning and it was so quiet outside with no wild birds visiting the feeders. I sometimes can hear them in the trees during our summer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice photos! I understand your feelings since I also like to feed the squirrels, birds, etc. Last year one of the squirrels moved her nest over to my balcony on the third floor and I was able to enjoy the cute baby squirrels coming out from under the patio furniture. The mother managed to shred some of the cushions :D but, oh well, it was for a good cause...

·
Administrator
60,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice photos! I understand your feelings since I also like to feed the squirrels, birds, etc. Last year one of the squirrels moved her nest over to my balcony on the third floor and I was able to enjoy the cute baby squirrels coming out from under the patio furniture. The mother managed to shred some of the cushions :D but, oh well, it was for a good cause...
Patricia,
You do sound like a kindred spirit. :giggle: My neighbors would be much happier without the squirrels around but I love watching them play. Having my squirrel house has been great as I get to see the little babies when they first start venturing out into the world.

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,323 Posts
How cool to feed wild-squirrels...In Australia we don't have them wild only see them in the Zoos.. We can feed possums that are wild....I have only seen a Squirrel in the zoo ...Deb next time you are taking photos of Squirrels can you share some photos of them for us to see...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow! I did not know that squirrels could use such a small bird's nest box for a nest. I guess I was used to seeing them in my patio furniture with cushions all around...:laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.