Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new here but I just wanted to call on some well experienced help. My budgie is about 9 months old, called Jim and basically I just wanted to check if his beak looked OK, I have read and seen horror stories about Scaly Beak and mites and the like and just wanted some advice please as to the appearance of his beak?

In the photo he looks a bit wet, as he is just out of the bath :)

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
His beak appears to be abnormal. Hard to determine the cause with the poor lighting. Might be scaly face mites but we need to see pictures in natural light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! :)

I have attached a couple of extra photos that although aren't natural light they are taken with a better camera and flash and give much more detail as to his beak.

I was thinking maybe he was just a little genetically different, as he has no front toes on his foot (as you can see in the last picture) along with his wings being very crossed, but he has been like this since we got him and it hasn't hampered in one way, what he lacks in wing symmetry he makes up for in vocabulary!

Again thanks for the help and thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Jim is an adorable little fellow!!

The beak looks very dry but it also appears as if there is a "crust" right around the edge of the beak where it meets his cere. That is the part I'm most concerned about.

Does he scratch at his beak a lot?
What kind of diet is he on?
This is a good example of the kinds of food that will keep him healthiest
Our Budgies Diet - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

I'd suggest taking a drop of olive oil and massage it into Jim's beak to help moisturize it -- be careful not to get any of it into his nares. This should help counteract the dryness.

I'm moving your thread over to "Diseases and Illnesses" as this isn't an "Emergency" situation. ;)

By the way, Welcome to Talk Budgies and Karma to you for adopting a special boy!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this again.

His diet is Trill budgie seed, along with this he loves fruit and millet. He isn't a big fan of veggies though. Although we do try to get him to have some.

As far as itching goes. He would scratch at it. I noticed it more a few days ago but haven't noticed any at all this evening nor last night.

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
How long has that crusty area been on Jim's beak next to his cere?
That is the area that appears that he may have mites and why I initially suggested you take him in to see your Avian Vet for a check-up.

If Jim has never been to the vet, I would suggest a check up. It's always a good practice to establish a relationship with a good Avian Vet and have a baseline for your budgie in case there is ever an emergency situation in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never not noticed if that makes sense. The dry appearance of his beak has always been present also.

I have noticed no change in behaviour either. He is a very happy, vocal little chap who is into talking a lot and skateboarding lol.

It's only a few days ago when he was itching at it that I started to look into it a bit further. Then obviously you read all about the horror stories!

He has never been to a vet before so he will get a trip this week anyway.

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Hello Jake is a lovely budgie and those toes are not needed obviously !In the new pictures it does indeed look like scaly face mites. Ivemectin is used to treat this and is applied behind the head directly onto the skin. I would recommend the vet visit and get them to demonstrate how to apply .Also his perches and cage will need a thorough clean to get rid of any eggs.

·
5,435 Posts
I agree with Deb that the powdery residue might be a sign of scaly face mites. I don't think it would hurt to acquire Ivermection from an avian vet or online. The Ivermectin needs to be a bird-safe dose tailored to the bird's body weight (approx. 30g). (Ivermectin is used to treat mammals, too, so dosing is important.)

Or you can buy Vetafarm Scatt (Moxydectin) over the Internet.

In the meantime, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline), olive oil or paraffin oil to the beak and lower cere. Take care not to block the nostrils. The substance will smother the mites.

I do not usually see cracks on the beak with scaly face mites. Perhaps he has a calcium deficiency. Make sure he gets a daily source of calcium. Here's my avian vet's website with several nutrition handouts: Bird Clinic Handouts - Bird Vet Dr. Larry Nemetz Avian Vet Orange CA Pet Birds.

Last, a visit to an avian vet would help. You can find one here: Association of Avian Veterinarians. Have the vet take a blood sample to test for nutritional deficiencies.

Best wishes. :)

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
He has never been to a vet before so he will get a trip this week anyway.
I'm very glad to hear you will be taking Jim in for his first Avian Vet visit this week! :hug:

Looking forward to hearing how the visit goes and seeing lots more of your little cutie soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,431 Posts
Jim is a lovely boy! Welcome to TB and I hope everything goes well with Jim at the vet :D We're all anxious to hear the verdict on such a happy-go-lucky fellow :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Welcome to you and your lovely boy!
Make sure you take him to an avian vet and not just a general vet. Many general vets don't have the extra knowledge needed for our special bebes and might miss something.

Was he born missing those toes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to you and your lovely boy!
Make sure you take him to an avian vet and not just a general vet. Many general vets don't have the extra knowledge needed for our special bebes and might miss something.

Was he born missing those toes?
Thanks for the advice and well wishes everyone.

And yep he was born missing those toes. Was just a little unstable to start off with but now he has adapted perfectly. Takes the odd wobble when having a scratch but that's about it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went to the vet today with Jim and they didn't know what it was. Said it might be mites but it seemed to be very slight if it was at all. They recommended calcium as well and also the drug named above but stated in Northern Ireland it isn't licenced and she could either dilute some right down from the horses formula or use some for pigeons. But that a disclaimer would have to be signed in case it had adverse side effects such as death.

So we didn't bother wih that.

I went to the pet store where they had some mite spray and scaly face lotion, the latter you massage into the beak and legs.

Anyone any experience with such a product or should we go with the vet and get them diluting?

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
That's really odd that "Scatt" isn't licensed to be sold in Northern Ireland.

I'd be concerned about putting anything on the skin and feathers that Jim could ingest and wouldn't recommend doing that.

Following is information about the correct dosage of ivermectin to use for budgies and the amount could be diluted down from the product for pigeons if you are unable to order this product in Northern Ireland.

http://www.awbirds.co.uk/ivermectin-drops-01-10ml---spot-on-treatment-of-mites-896-p.asp

With regard to use of the "Trill" brand birdseed, please take a look at this thread
http://talkbudgies.com/diet-nutrition/150361-trill-bird-seed.html

There have been issues where some people have had birds become very ill after using this product so I encourage you to make an informed decision. I know you want Jim to be as healthy and happy as possible.

So I went to the vet today with Jim and they didn't know what it was. Said it might be mites but it seemed to be very slight if it was at all. They recommended calcium as well and also the drug named above but stated in Northern Ireland it isn't licenced and she could either dilute some right down from the horses formula or use some for pigeons. But that a disclaimer would have to be signed in case it had adverse side effects such as death.

I went to the pet store where they had some mite spray and scaly face lotion, the latter you massage into the beak and legs.

Anyone any experience with such a product or should we go with the vet and get them diluting?

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,633 Posts
Tom Boy... Jim is a darling and I hope his beak issue is short lived. I had a question.. I have a budgie with very crossed wings like Jim's, only one sticks up a bit. He can't fly. I just assumed it was an old injury. Do you know why Jim's wings are crossed and can he fly?
Thanks..
Judy

·
5,435 Posts

You can purchase small bird-specific Ivermectin or Vetafarm Scatt over the Internet. In the meantime, apply a substance as I explained.

I'm glad you're going to improve his diet. My avian vet offers several nutrition handouts here:
http://www.thebirdclinic.com/Bird-Clinic-Handouts/.

Best wishes and please let us know about his progress. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.