Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm Carol! Nice to meet you all! :)

I work at a pet store (Pet Supplies Plus). Lately we've had a lot of trouble with people trying to surrender pets to us, and our company policy won't allow us to take them because we can't guarantee their health/the health of our current animals if they are added in.

Today, a man came in with a cage and two budgies. He set them down on the counter, told us he wanted to return them, and then after some questioning, (do you have a receipt? no. Did you buy them here? no.) He states he didn't buy them here, he doesn't want money, he doesn't want the birds, he's just leaving them and 'do whatever you want but I don't want them'. We tried to tell him he couldn't, but basically he just left the cage there on the counter and walked out.

We couldn't keep them at the store, and so the manager wasn't sure what to do with them. Long story short, I decided to take them home with me rather than any of the presented alternatives, and I'm a sudden newbie budgie owner! :D

I'm a long-time rat owner and I have very little expertise on bird care, other than basics. I'm really, really wanting to give these two a great home with the most loving, caring atmosphere I can provide them! I've already read quite a bit on this forum before I joined and I'm reading every other piece of information I can, but I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you!

One budgie is a male I call Jos. The other is a female called Valk! (They're named after a Mandalorian couple from Star Wars: The Old Republic.. haha...)
Here is a terrible picture:

They've had an incredibly stressful day, but I'm so excited to do the best I can with the care of my new accidental birdy buddies! And I'm excited to befriend you all as well! If there's any specific advice anyone has I'd love to hear it! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Welcome to Tb, those two cuties are sure lucky you were there to rehome them to a loving and caring environment. read through the stickies here on the forum and ask any questions you feel you can't find an answer to. Looking forward to seeing more of your budgies and you around here.:budgie:

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :)
You will find all you need to know on budgie care here.
It's really a shame how some people have total disregard for their pets to do something like this.
Jos and Valk are very fortunate to now be under your loving care and I wish you the best of luck with them.

Reactions: SusanBudgies

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
:welcome: to TalkBudgies! :wave:

Karma for rescuing those two budgies.

Both are adults. The blue one is male (bright blue cere). I can't ascertain gender of green one because I can't see his/her cere.

Feel free to familiarize yourself with the forums: http://talkbudgies.com/forum.php. At the top of each forum are helpful "stickies" that address frequently asked questions.

But feel free to start a new thread with any questions you may have. There are a lot of helpful, experienced, friendly members here!

I'll start off by referring you to my avian vet's nutrition handouts: Bird Clinic Handouts - Bird Vet Dr. Larry Nemetz Avian Vet Orange CA Pet Birds.

I suggest you find an avian vet in your area, in case of emergency: Association of Avian Veterinarians. If you can afford a Well Bird Checkup, then you might want to consider one because you don't know their backgrounds.

Happy Budgie-ing! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all it means a lot!! I'm going through stickies like a crazy person! Haha! Soaking up as much info as I can. Thank you for the warm welcome!

I was very sad it happened :( I can't stand when people feel the need to dump pets like this. It happens quite a bit but with cats and dogs we have shelters that can take them. (We don't sell cats and dogs anyway.) I'm glad I was able to take them or I'm not sure what the result would have been. I'd like to give them the best shot possible at a good life.

I do have a good vet nearby who can check them out too! And all of those links are great, thank you so much :D

Jos is banded though I haven't gotten a good look at it, but Valk isn't. As soon as they've calmed down and feel comfortable I'll try to get a read on it. I'm curious. I have no idea how old they are or anything.

Here is another picture in better lighting when they were still at the store before I brought them home. A good cere picture :D

Hopefully it doesn't post terrible as I'm on mobile:

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hello, and welcome to talk budgies. Born and raised in the Toledo area myself, and a diehard Buckeye...:) Wonderful of you to give a home to these two beautiful bird's, I am sure they will prove to be rewarding. Glad to hear you are already reading stickies as they are loaded with great info. Lot's of very helpful, experienced people here. Glad you found the sight...:)

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Nice resue you have there :). A male:budge: and female:budgie:. Look to be a year or so as I believe I see iris rings in his eyes. Welcome to TB :).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:welcome: They're beautiful! Thank goodness you were there! It's unbelievable how some people consider their pets as just objects. But at least he did bring them in and you were there! The alternatives are unthinkable! God bless you!! :)

Reactions: SusanBudgies

·
Administrator
56,591 Posts

Hi, to Talk Budgies!

How wonderful of you to rescue adorable little Jo and Valk and give them a safe and loving forever home! :hug:

Karma to you for being such a wonderful person.

You've come to the right place to learn all about the best way to care for your new little friends and we have many friendly and knowledgeable members who will be happy to answer questions.

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html
Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums
Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...when-asking-mutation-identification-help.html
If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
Welcome to TB... hard to believe that people can be so cold... I read a story of a woman who was at a car wash in the start of winter and saw a cage of 4 budgies sitting outside with a sign on it saying... "Free to good home, you can take them now or let them freeze." She took them all home and gave them a place to live. People are so mean.

Glad there are others who are not like you. You'll love these little guys, they have so much personality, and each and everyone of them is different in their own way. It's amazing to watch them and figure out who they are.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I do have a good vet nearby who can check them out too! And all of those links are great, thank you so much :D
Most all-animal vets are poorly educated with regard to birds, who have a cross between mammalian and reptilian physiology. Better to take them to an avian vet, if you can.

Here is another picture in better lighting when they were still at the store before I brought them home. A good cere picture :D

Hopefully it doesn't post terrible as I'm on mobile:

Thank you for the picture! They are a handsome pair. :thumbsup:

Nice resue you have there :). A male:budge: and female:budgie:. Look to be a year or so as I believe I see iris rings in his eyes. Welcome to TB :).
:iagree: the blue one is male and the green one is female, and both are adults due to "clear" (white or yellow, unbarred) foreheads and well-defined iris rings (the white circles around their black eyes).

The **** bird's mutation is sky blue opaline. Sky blue is the shade of blue (number of dark factors -- a sky blue budgie has no dark factors) Dark Factors Blue Budgies - ************* Cute Little Birdies Aviary and opaline Opaline Budgies - ************* Cute Little Birdies Aviary refers to the body markings/patterns (notice the fainter head barring and blue color between his shoulders).

The hen's mutation is olive green normal. Again, olive green is the shade of green (number of dark factors -- an olive green budgie has two dark factors) Dark Factors Green Budgies - ************* Cute Little Birdies Aviary and normal Normal Budgies - ************* Cute Little Birdies Aviary refers to the normal markings found in wild Australian budgies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar.

TMI? ;)

:D

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Welcome to Talk Budgies! :wave1:

I am from Ohio too! Thank goodness these little ones have found a good and loving home with you, rather than what is most likely a far less than ideal circumstance.

I am sure you will find more than the basics here on our forum, and please feel free to let us know if you have any questions you do not feel covered in our stickies and additional threads, ok? :)

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
:wave: G'day and welcome to TB, Carol.

Love :love: your budgies! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.