Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jessica this little baby is one of our new little babies ! Our first and only clutch of babies from hatchling! Our piper had 5 eggs 4 hatched this little was the first to leave the nest! Any advice been reading lots of info since we got mom and dad 2 years ago ! Any advice with the hatchlings momma has been amazing with the hatchlings she has been great! I know dad takes over I took her out cause she wouldn't let him but he really wouldn't do anything Any advise.
Bird Parrot african grey Grey Beak

Bird Beak Feather Mesh Parakeet
This is my beautiful momma piper

Bird Bird supply Pet supply Beak Feather
And handsome daddy Leo

My question is this since daddy isn't doing anything should I leave momma with babies and remove daddy they are fighting a little I cut the light early to help keep from breeding move things around in the cage . My issue is one of the 3 still in the box isn't ready to be out yet the other two anyday they come out they will be fine any advice would be helpful

We have decided to just finish hand feeding them. We are set to do it

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
How old are the babies?
The Mom should not be removed from them until they reach 3 1/2 weeks old.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
The Mom needs to be put in a cage of her own away from the babies and the Father so she doesn't try to start laying again.

Has the Dad made any indication of being aggressive toward OR trying to mate with any of the chicks?
If Yes - then he needs to be removed and put in a cage of his own away from them as well.

Are the babies eating anything on their own?
Supplemental feedings/co-parenting would be the way to go at this point if they aren't being given enough to eat.

Planned Co-Parenting in Raising Tame Chicks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 Babies are eating on their own some and no dad hasn't but if it's just mom in the cage with the babies still not a good ideal? I am setup to supplement feed but I know it would be better if parents did it don't you think ? Just want the best for the babie here's a pic of the two oldest moved them to a nursery for now The dark blue is Diego and Tillie is the light blue
Bird Purple Beak Small animal food Plant

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Mom can stay with all of the babies IF she isn't being at all aggressive toward them.
Is she still feeding the chick that is in the nest box?
You can remove the Dad into a separate cage in a separate room.

What do you have on the floor of the nursery?

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Are you going to put the chicks back into the cage with the mother and just supplement feed them if necessary?
Is the Mom still feeding the chick that is in the nest box?

I don't recommend using corn cob bedding. Cleaning the nursey is going to be a nightmare unless you throw out all the bedding every time.
Do you have the babies in an aquarium rather than a cage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I do wasn't sure which way to go with the babies cage or aquarium. I have read so much diff things and everything has diff counter dictions on them ugh so I'm on here to get good advise lol I want them to have the best. I didn't breed to sell I wanted one clutch to keep and now I have them just want them to have the best of everything the vet says everyrhing seems great with mom and dad I take them in once they are bigger

That came out wrong not saying people who breed and sell don't give best care I just love these babies and they staying with me that's all I was trying to say

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
The babies are adorable.
Are those two completely eating on their own or are you supplement feeding them?
As the chicks are less than 6 weeks, I would recommend you put them back in with the Mother and sibling. They need to be with the adult budgie to "learn to be budgies".

Planned Co-Parenting in Raising Tame Chicks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tillie I can but the blue Diego I can't cause momma was kind os mean to so thats why I moved him he's was trying get some greens and she started pecking him and attacking him

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
I'm sorry to ask again, but how old are Tillie and Diego? I wasn't clear with your previous response. 4 weeks and 5 weeks?

You can keep using dried oats in the nest box if that is what you used all along.
The nest box does have a concave bottom -- correct?
The chick in the nest box is 3 1/2 weeks old now?
Is Mom still feeding the one in the nest box?

How big is the cage you currently have the Mom in with the nest box?
Length, Width and Height?
As far as the cage itself goes, you are better off using plain newsprint (aka packing paper which is available through Amazon) or white paper towels to cover the bottom grate.

How big is the cage you have the Dad in at this point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cage mom and babies are in is very big we took a China hutch and converted to a bird cage . Not sure measurements husband knows those he's not home. Nest does have a concave dad is in a big cage with 2 males that I've had gotten from a Woman who died they was in awful condition when I got them had them about a year now they are doing amazing they use to share a cage with mom and dad moved them before they bred. I put Diego the blue back with mom she seems ok now feeding them all .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes he's almost 4 weeks old and the other 2 Diego is the first to hatch he was hatched 4 days then tillie he is 5 weeks tillie is almost 5 weeks male since then Petrie baby number 3 was born a day after tillie then doc was born week later something like that

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Let me see if I understand everything properly:

Dad is in a Large Cage with 2 other males at this time.
How large is that cage -- could you please measure the Length, Width and Height and let me know?
Please post a picture of that cage.

You have a total of 4 chicks.
Are all of them back in with Mom?
Make sure you have food and water dishes right outside the entrance of the nest box for her.
Are you offering fresh vegetables to her as well as a quality seed mix and pellets?
Is she getting a calcium supplement in addition to the cuttle bone and mineral block?
She should be getting something along the lines of Calci-Boost or Calci-Vet

Is the nest box on a breeding cage or in the china cabinet? -- sorry but I was confused by what you wrote.
If nest box is on a breeding cage, please post a picture of that

My concern with the converted china cabinet is twofold.

1. It appears there are places within the cage that the budgies can get to the cabinet wood.
If the budgies chew on the wood which has been stained or painted, it can be toxic to them.
2. If the mesh used is galvanized, it too can be toxic to your birds and cause heavy metal poisoning.
Lead and Zinc Toxicosis

Mesh and Cage Wire must be Safe for your Birds

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
When all of the chicks are fully fledged and weaned, is it your intention to separate the budgies by gender to prevent any unwanted breeding?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.