Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

My name is Rebecca and I have recently become the loving mom of Lemon the Budgie. As Lemon is my first pet bird, I wanted to join this forum and add to all of the research I've already done. I've had him (possibly her) for two weeks now, and we seem to be getting along quite well. Although still nervous around me, likely as a result of a visit to the vet to get his wings clipped, I can get him to step up onto pens or perches. Slowly moving towards fingers. He's a very stubborn bird, likely as a result of being from a pet store. He doesn't like to try new foods, very hesitant with the veggies I've been trying to introduce. He also doesn't like to try new treats, and isn't a huge fan of millet. This makes reinforcement, and thus taming, quite difficult. But he's young (definitely under four months, the pet store said 6 weeks but I'm not sure about that), so I'm hoping that with time and adjustment to his new home he will be more adventurous. Looking forward to meeting some fellow budgie owners and learning about these beautiful birds.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hi Rebecca and :welcome: to the forums!

Congratulations on bringing home little Lemon! I'm glad you've done some research prior to bringing him home. If you post a photo of his cere, we'll be able to confirm his gender for you :thumbsup:

For the first two weeks, you actually should not try to tame him, as he's just been introduced into a new and scary environment, he needs the two weeks without any added stress to settle in. During this time, you can start taming him simply by sitting next to his cage and reading, singing, or talking to him. After the two weeks you can proceed with the slow taming, and he should be less skittish ;)

Over time he will definitely come out of his shell!

Meanwhile, be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" (threads "stuck" to the top of each subform for easy reference) to ensure you're up to date on everything!

We hope to see more of Lemon soon. :photo:

Cheers :wave:

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Hi! :welcome: to Talk Budgies

We recommend that you not try to touch or work on taming a budgie for a minimum of two weeks.
Please be aware that Lemon may "regress" in his "training" when he becomes an adolescent.

Always work at your Lemon's pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly whenever you interact with him .

Most budgies once they pass the "baby" stage, do not like to be petted or touched.

If your budgie does like to be petted, you should only ever pet his head, neck or chest area.
Stroking a budgie's back and/or tail stimulates its breeding instinct. Bonding means allowing them to choose to be with you.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Please do not use Emojis from Phones - use Forum Smilies Only
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape. Additionally, the picture appears as what we term a "thumbnail" attachment.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site
You can practice uploading pictures in the site's "Test Forum:
Test Forum

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello and :welcome:

You have been given excellent advice by some of the experts here. As they said, this is a great place to learn more about best practices in budgie care. I look forward to seeing pictures of your little bird soon! I am assuming your bird is yellow, too. Lemon is a good name! :giggle: (See signature for the joke.)

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Hi Rebecca :welcome:

We have lots of great information here to help you keep Lemon happy and healthy. Please read over the Stickies to get started. If you have questions about anything you’ve read, we’re here to help.

It doesn’t sound like Lemon is stubborn at all. Remember, being a bird, he/she will naturally have wild instincts. Since you’re already seeing some response, that’s great. Just remember to go at Lemon’s pace.

We’d love to see pics. We can also help you with determining Lemon’s gender if you post a clear, close frontal view of the cere in good natural daytime lighting.

:wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.