Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello earlier this year I just got into keeping budgies again as my family had some in my childhood that I have fond memories of.

I have six budgies (5 females and 1 male). I have been focusing a lot on my green and yellow female 'Athena' as she is the friendliest towards me and will readily eat out of my hand and perch on my hand if I encourage her. The others will eat out of and perch on my hand as well but aren't as comfortable when doing so, Athena is really comfortable she gets excited when she hears me coming and climbs onto the front of the cage to watch me get her food.

I don't think I can get Athena trained too much more as they have a large outside cage (but not one I can enter) the cage is in an outside living area that I try to spend at least an hour with them a day. I don't want to take Athena out of the cage for fear that she will let scared and fly away, so I won't be shoulder training her etc. I'm happy with hand training and am slowly getting her used to letting me pet her (some days she will gently bite or be more timid).

I'll be sticking around the forum gathering information and sharing any updates. One thing I did want to ask is how much I should be feeding them. I give them a seed mix, as well as dried fruit and a cuttlefish "bone" I also often give them fresh cut up apple. The problem is I enjoy feeding Athena from my hand so when I put food in their bowl Athena continues to eat so she probably ends up eating more than the rest. Is the recommended 2 tablespoons of seed per budgie sufficient and what I feed Athena doesn't affect it too much?

Anyway I look forward to your replies thank you.

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

As you have mixed genders in one cage, you definitely need to do everything necessary to discourage breeding.
AND, we never recommend colony breeding.
Please be aware that you may end up having more issues since you have an uneven ratio of males to females.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

You don't want Athena eating too much seed and dried fruit is high in sugar content.
You would be better off giving them sprouted seed and fresh vegetables.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie

Quality Seed Mix

CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses

Obesity/Hepatic Lipidosis/Fatty Liver Disease

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello and thank you. In terms of diet I neglected to mention that I also feed them a vitamin pellet blend and that the "fruit" mix also contains veggies, but I want to introduce more fresh veggies as well.

I believe you misread or mistyped as you have said that I have only one female with five males, its actually the reverse I only have one male. My male is named Apollo and he doesn't seem to show any desire to breed, although I'm no expert. He was really friendly with Athena for a period, preening and always by her side although I had read that was normal and they do it less now anyway. I got the budgies locally and I believe they are siblings (not sure if that discourages breeding).

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! :geek:

You've been given some excellent advice and resources by FaeryBee, as well as come to a great community to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Be sure to ask questions if you have any after reading through things!

Best wishes for Athena, we'd love to meet all your flock if you get a chance :)

Cheers 👋

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
You have some very beautiful budgies!

From the pictures posted, it appears that you actually have three males.
Apollo, Artemis and Pandia.
Artemis and Pandia are the type mutations where the males have the translucent pinkish/purple cere as shown in the photos.

You will need to be aware that breeding can become an issue.
Birds don't care if they are siblings - given the right circumstances, they will breed so it is important you discourage this.

I also need to point out that it is very important you have perches of varying diameters in the cage to prevent pressure sores. Dowel type perches are not ideal.

Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage

Additionally, the metal clip hanging in the cage in the first picture is very rusted/corroded. It needs to be removed and replaced. Metal poisoning is very dangerous.

Lead and Zinc Toxicosis

We want to ensure that your babies remain healthy and happy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you FaeryBee you are giving such good advice. I had no idea I could have had multiple males. I should mention that from what you have told me Ersa is likely a male as well as they have also a translucent coloured cere (in fact theirs is the most pigmented and I already was unsure of the sex because of that)

In terms of perching the dowel are the main perch of the cage but I have also provided toys with varying natural perches and also I have a branching gum tree branch with all different sized branches.

In terms of the rusted metal clip I removed it immediately. They didn't like that swing anyway. And as I said before I see no evidence of a desire to breed but I have looked over ways to discourage breeding.

Also as per your initial suggestion I have begun sprouting seed so hopefully that goes well. Funny enough your initial "mistake" of saying I have one female among five males was more accurate, you must have a sixth sense or something lol.

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
I'm glad you already had differing sized branches and have now removed the clip. Well done!
We hope the information throughout the forum will be helpful to you -- it seems for me there is always something new for me to learn.
Looking forward to seeing more of your little ones as time goes on!
Best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
If you have photos taken which show their ceres in better lighting we'll be able to confirm their genders :) I agree with FaeryBee that you definitely have more than two males ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts