Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My name is Rory and I just recently adopted my first budgie baby!!
I've had my little Jonghyun (Jjongie for short) for about a week and a half now. I'm so glad to have discovered this forum, getting Jjongie was a last minute decision and so I hadn't done much research other than the pamphlet I was given at the pet store. Even though I didn't initially set out to adopt a budgie I couldn't be happier with my decision, I just fell in love with this little baby at the store. I can't wait to see where this little adventure takes me. I'm also so excited to get to know some of the regulars on this forum!!

I look forward to chatting with you all about our babies!
I'd really appreciate it if everyone who reads my intro would leave their best piece of advice for a new parent.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Hi Rory and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

Giving just one piece of advice is very difficult.
A healthy diet is critical:
http://www.talkbudgies.com/articles-diet-nutrition/315033-healthy-diet-your-budgie.html

I'll be looking forward to meeting Jonghyun via pictures once he's all settled into his new home. :)

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

50 Common Budgie Dangers to Watch Out For

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
When We Don't Want Eggs
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Hi Rory,

I agree with what FaeryBee has stated and I think one of the most important things you can do is to locate an avian vet now, it is much better to have one selected than to wait until one is needed. Locating one now will give you the chance to inquire into costs so there will not be any surprises should you ever need their services. It is also a good idea to have a exam done to assure your new baby is healthy and it would give you a chance to meet the vet. Would love to see pictures of your baby.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hi Rory! Welcome! My piece of advice would be to be sure to take it slow with your new budgie, and be understanding if it takes a lot of time and patience to get them used to you :)

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi Rory and :welcome: to the forums!

It's great to have you with us! :D You couldn't have come to a better place to learn even more about budgies!

My foremost piece of advice is to take the time to really get to know your little one. Spend as much time with him as possible. This will help you learn his quirks, habits, body language, and will really help you form a meaningful bond with him.

Be sure to acquaint yourself with the forums by looking through the links provided above, which include most of the many articles and stickies that we have here! If you have any questions after reading through everything, be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

I can't wait to meat Jonghyun! :photo:

Cheers! :wave:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forum!! My advice would be to research (using all the amazing resources on this forum) and discover what could be potentially harmful to your budgie. I've discovered things that might seem harmless are actually super dangerous (like avocados and apple seeds)! Can't wait to see you around and I'd love to see pictures ;)

·
Exceptional Service Award August 2017
1,096 Posts
Hi Rory & Jjongie, welcome to the forum.:)

All great advice above, I’ll add ‘Don’t assume that pet shop staff are experts’; they are very often experts ... at selling and know very little about up to date best practices of budgie care. The stickies are your best resource.

Would love to see some photos when he’s settled in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.