Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :) :)

New budgie owner, and new to forum's so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right! :p
I have my budgie kiwi with two weeks and if the age the shop owner gave me is right that would make him/her 13 weeks old!
Kiwi seems to have settled in already and is happy, she/he steps up and eats out of my hand with very little hesitation.
I have found a lot of information on this site that has been really helpful as a new budgie owner!

I just can not tell what ''type'' or mutation? Of budgie kiwi is, and I was told I have to wait for kiwi to be at least 6 months of age before I can tell what sex it is?.

Kash.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you post a picture we would be able to help you out :) Everyone on here is incredibly knowledgeable and if you ever have any questions or concerns about your new addition to your home always feel free to ask. This place is extremely helpful. Welcome to TalkBudgie :welcome:

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Talk Budgies! :) If you could post a picture of Kiwi from the front with natural light (no flash) that would be the best way to tell the sex. Some of our experts can tell very early! :)

Kiwi is adorable and we look forward to seeing him or her around the forums.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :)
I'm glad the info on here has proven helpful to you, since you are new to budgies, if you haven't done so already, I would suggest you to take a look at the stickies at the Diet and Nutrition as well as the Training and Bonding sections of the forums.
I will be waiting for more pics of your Kiwi. From that photo, I can tell that Kiwi is a recessive pied budgie. Once you get the pics in natural light (no flash from camera) we can tell you which shade of green colour he/she has.
And to tell the gender, try to get a good shot of the entire beak/cere area (the cere is the upper part of beak where the nostrils are located and its colour will determine the gender).

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Welcome to TB, you are doing wonderful, even have got a picture up already:) When I joined it took me ages to work out how to do that I am sure you will be more than able to navigate around the forum.:budgie:

·
21,787 Posts
From those pics it seems you have a cute girl, she's a light green recessive pied budgie. :) I can see the cere is mainly whitish mingled with a bit of faint blue colour, indicating young female. If she were a boy and considering its colour mutation, the cere would have a rich pink uniform colour.

EDIT: Seems like Krystal beat me to it, haha! :D

·
21,787 Posts
Thank you :)
I'm going to assume what I heard about female budgies being quite was non sense then! She has been chirping all morning :D
Budgie girls can and will carry a tune as well as the budgie boys! 3 out of my 4 current females make sure to let me know that and are as excited about singing as their male companions! ;) It's all about personality.

·
Administrator
56,593 Posts
Hi and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

Kiwi is a beautiful little girl and I'm sure you and she will become best of friends. :lovers:

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/55420-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-info-[articles]/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html
Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...king-mutation-gender-identification-help.html

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
I disagree with everyone else...

Recessive pied, yes... but a little boy.

I dont' see any white on the cere at all.. if you can take a closer up pic of the cere it would help.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Kiwi looks like a little girl to me! She is definitely light green recessive pied, as everyone has said. And, yes, it totally depends on the personality of the budgie! Some females even talk, which many people often think is impossible :)
:welcome: to you and Kiwi, and can't wait to see you around the forum!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.