Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So a little background to my budgie: he's a 6 year old, bought from a breeder when he was 8 weeks old, no other illnesses thus far and has only ever needed the vet once to trim his claws.

I've come back from uni (I'm studying a Veterinary Nursing BSc degree) for Christmas and have noticed my budgies beak has, for the second time in 2 months, gotten too long and needs trimming. I've never had to do it before other than the first time in October! Excessive growth in a month in his beak, also noticed his cere at the bottom is brown (dried blood?) looks as if it is haemorrhaging, same goes for his nails which are reddy/brown. His nails have been like that on occasion though before.

My parents have fed him a seed-only diet other than giving him treat sticks which have dried fruit in them. He has cuttlebone, grit for digestion and natural wood perches. I'm worried all these signs are showing possible fatty liver disease due to poor seed quality diet over a long period.

I'll take him to the avian vet locally tomorrow but I'd like people's thoughts/experiences with their budgies in this situation?

I must admit, I should give him a more varied diet as I feel I've neglected him in terms of his diet. He doesn't look unwell as he is very chirpy and has been happily flying around the living room but I am worried for his health.

Thanks in advance,
Rebecca

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies. Can you post closeups of the areas you are talking about ?

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,978 Posts
Can you get him a variety if different perches? These should help keep his nails trimmed. And if you get a calcium perch, he can also nibble on it.
Are there any wooden things in the cage for him to gnaw on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get him a variety if different perches? These should help keep his nails trimmed. And if you get a calcium perch, he can also nibble on it.
Are there any wooden things in the cage for him to gnaw on?
I've never heard of a calcium perch before but I will definitely try that! I do have a standard plastic/rubber top one and a wooden one but only plastic toys at the moment. I'll get some more things for him to gnaw on as the cuttlefish has remained untouched which is odd (wondering if it's to do with his beak being so so long :( ) thank you! The problem isn't in terms of his nails being too long but his beak. I just don't understand how a beak can grow over 1cm long in a month when not much has change in terms of things to gnaw on in his cage

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It sounds like it could be a problem with his liver to me. Going to the vet is the best choice, which you are already doing.
I don't think budgies need grit to digest their food, in fact I thought it was harmful to budgies. Can someone with more knowledge weigh in please?

·
Super Moderator
19,682 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forums!

Moira is correct, budgies do not need grit to digest their food and it can actually impact their crop negatively :(

Apart from that, it could be a number of things so we'll likely have more answers once you get pictures up :eek:

In the meantime, keep an eye on him and make sure he's not showing any other symptoms. I'm looking forward to hearing what the vet has to say!

I hope everything goes well and keep us posted:)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and we hope to see you around!

:wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and :welcome: to the forums!

Moira is correct, budgies do not need grit to digest their food and it can actually impact their crop negatively :(

Apart from that, it could be a number of things so we'll likely have more answers once you get pictures up :eek:

In the meantime, keep an eye on him and make sure he's not showing any other symptoms. I'm looking forward to hearing what the vet has to say!

I hope everything goes well and keep us posted:)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and we hope to see you around!

:wave:
Oh really? I didn't know that. I study at the Royal Veterinary College in London and one of their lectures suggested they needed it. Maybe the lecture was outdated, I'll definitely ask :) thank you for your help, I'll keep you posted! X

·
MOTM March 2012
5,289 Posts
Oh really? I didn't know that. I study at the Royal Veterinary College in London and one of their lectures suggested they needed it. Maybe the lecture was outdated, I'll definitely ask :) thank you for your help, I'll keep you posted! X
There are two types of grit soluble and insoluble.

Soluble is mainly oyster shell and charcoal.
Insoluble is tiny bits of grit.

If you are feeding insoluble to your budgie thats when issues arise as they can not digest it.

If your offering a cuttlefish there is no need for soluble grit they will get the calcium from the cuttlefish.

Grit is needed for species who cant dehusk their seed like poultry and pigeons. Budgies dehusk their seed so do not require the grit to aid in this.

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
The bruising you have described on the beak and nails along with the overgrown beak are typical signs of fatty liver. Perhaps it could also have other causes but these things are common with fatty liver, the avian vet will be able to determine the cause and the best course of treatment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.