Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
So i have this almost 12 year old budgie, who is basically a family member, so naturally when he gets sick or acts weird i get worried. He has his days when he will fluff up and be less active than other days but all in all I think he is healthy, he has the same diet ad before and I give him vegetables from time to time but tofay i moticed that hos tip of the beak has turned slightly black and he seems less active and fluffed up, also he throws up sometimes(he has done it before as well) he eats and drinks but just sleeps for the majority of the day.

Had your budgie ever had it? If yes please share your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!!💕 View attachment 256648

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello Liza,

Have you brought him to a vet? They should be able to give a proper diagnosis and medication if it is required. I'm sure the more experienced members will have more advice for you. I myself am not an expert and would bring him to the vet to be sure. He is such a handsome man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so so much Elysia! Will definitely do that!! Haha yess but right now with his feathers fluffed up he looks a bit like a hungover man😂💕

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
You need to get him to an avian vet asap for an exam. Vomiting is not normal for a healthy bird, dark spots on the beak may indicate a problem with the liver. When the liver is not functioning normally it interferes with the ability of the blood to clot and can cause bruises on the beak which appear as dark spots. The dark spots will also sometimes appear on the toenails. Do you have an avian vet that you normally see?

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
You have been given excellent advice and it is critical you get your budgie into the vet right away.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.

This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.

When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.

This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.

The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future. Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.