Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was out with my dog Elvis on his late afternoon walk, much to my astonishment I found a little bird on the side of the road, I instantly noticed the little one was in danger of being run over by a car and both of his legs did not work at all. I easily caught him, he offered no resistance, and I went straight back home.
He was very cold, so I wrapped him on a flannel cloth and sat with him for a while. After being warm I inspected his legs and it appears he has no sensation on them, they simply do not work. I already offered him some water, which he gladly took. I put some egg food and an exotic bird seed mix I always keep for my budgies, it's similar to the finch seed mix. He hasn't tried to eat anything yet.

If he makes it through the night, and starts to eat, I will do my very best to rehabilitate him and depending on his legs, I will either keep him or release him back into the wild where he belongs.

Now I'm in need of help in determining the species. I believe he is a common nightingale, but I need confirmation on this.

Also if anyone has any tips in terms on good food I can offer the little fellow I will be very thankful.

Here are the pics, I apologize in advance as it is already night time here so I had to take them under artificial lighting.

031 by aluz391, on Flickr

032 by aluz391, on Flickr

033 by aluz391, on Flickr

034 by aluz391, on Flickr

035 by aluz391, on Flickr

036 by aluz391, on Flickr

037 by aluz391, on Flickr

·
Budgetarian Award Recipient November 2014
871 Posts
Awwwwww... Poor little one. So lucky to have found you...

God bless you for rescuing the little one. He is adorable. I hope he recovers fast. Karma to you for being such an amazing person. I hope someone comes along who can identify the bird.
:hug:

·
Member of the Month Dec 2014
1,087 Posts
Hi Aluz,
It looks like it might be a nightengale! Is that possible in your part of the world? What a precious bird.
Is it spring where you are? I think they are primarily insectivores.

Reactions: aluz

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awwwwww... Poor little one. So lucky to have found you...

God bless you for rescuing the little one. He is adorable. I hope he recovers fast. Karma to you for being such an amazing person. I hope someone comes along who can identify the bird.
:hug:
Thanks, Juhi! :hug:
I have been researching and from what I have read, I think he is an insectivore, so now I must find him some tiny insects and see if he eats.
Tomorrow I will have to go to the local pet store to see if they sell ready to go mealworms or something along those lines.
I really hope the little one regains the use of his legs so I can set him free.

Reactions: Jo Ann and Juhi

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Aluz,
It looks like it might be a nightengale! Is that possible in your part of the world? What a precious bird.
Is it spring where you are? I think they are primarily insectivores.
Thanks for the help, Nedra! :)
No, it is not spring here. It's getting colder and soon it will be winter here.
And there are nightingales, robins and other wild birds here in Europe, Portugal.

·
Budgetarian Award Recipient November 2014
871 Posts
Thanks, Juhi! :hug:
I have been researching and from what I have read, I think he is an insectivore, so now I must find him some tiny insects and see if he eats.
Tomorrow I will have to go to the local pet store to see if they sell ready to go mealworms or something along those lines.
I really hope the little one regains the use of his legs so I can set him free.
I really hope so too... But he is in your care now so I am sure he will be fine...!!! Stay blessed little one.

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,516 Posts
One caution that I am sure you already thought of.. Make sure there is strict quarantine measures between this little one and your pets... Different clothes, hand washing and sanitizer as well as separate living areas... No telling what he/she could be carrying.

·
1,087 Posts
l love the sweet expression in that little bird's eyes and can only imagine that your eyes must be as kind and sweet as his.
Aluz, I have raised a few insectivore babies in my lifetime and have used high-quality soaked dog kibble quite successfully. I had to force feed for the first day by gently prying their beak open and pushing the soft kibble to the back of their throat where the swallow reflex automatically 'kicked-in'. By the second day, they usually started opening their mouths and begging at my approach. Not sure if an adult bird would relearn that behavior or not, but I imagine you are going to have to resort to force feeding no matter what you feed, since he is injured and may be a little 'shockey'.

My 'heart' is with you and I'm sending you positive thoughts for a successful outcome. You are a generous and kind-hearted soul for taking this tiny, little thing 'under your wing'.

Best of luck to both of you!

·
1,087 Posts
Great point JW. Maybe that's why he was 'grounded' in the first place --- maybe the bugs are already hibernating in Portugal. Aluz said it was starting to be winter already.

·
Long Term Active Member Award June 2015
3,413 Posts
I think even insectivores can get by with more plant derived food.

Fat based 'cakes' are prominent, beef tallow mixed with rolled oats, berries, sunflower seeds, etc. I believe I have read that meal worms are not a complete source for food though.

good luck with the little one!

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, everyone! Especially you, Nedra for the valuable info regarding feeding the little fellow. I will immediately soak a bit of dog food for him and gently try to hand feed him. The winters here aren't very cold to the point of snowing (no below 0 Cº temps on my area) and there are still some bugs and insects around.

And yes, I am being extremely careful with my flock, no worries there! I have done this before with other wild birds. ;)

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts
This is a Nightingale Aluz! Here they are very common, I see them every Spring mostly in Chalkidiki. Sometimes they are friendly, one of them used to come close to me when I was standing in the garden. I've seen them eat insects (flies, ants, little worms,etc). Greeks say that this bird cannot be in captivity. They are great singers!
I am glad you rescued that little guy! I know he'll receive the best help from you! Update us on his condition!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
He looks lovely! We don't have them here in NZ.

If you found him on the side of the road I would suspect he had a glancing blow from a car and could have nerve or spine damage. Good luck with it.

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
Karma to you Ana for rescuing the beautiful little Nightengale. :hug:

I pray that when he begins eating he will regain the use of his little legs. It was wonderful that you were the one to find him and are doing your best to give him a chance at having a happy life.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of love, positive thoughts and healing energy for you and the Nightengale. Please let us know how things go. :hug:

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I was successful and managed to give him a bit of moist ground dog food.
Earlier when I did the normal check I noticed he has an healthy amount of body fat (not skinny), so I don't think he had been starving.
After I got him warm he readily took the water I offered him and he has always been very bright eyed and alert. He also flapped his wings a few times while on the hospital cage, too bad he has no control over his legs...:(
He is now tucked in, partially covered by the flannel cloth and is getting ready to sleep. His breathing is normal and not laboured and just now I saw his eyelids close for the first time.
I too, am praying to tomorrow see his big shiny eyes that I already love so much looking at me. :pray:

I thank you all for the well wishes and prayers for the little fellow.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Can't help with the ID since I'm mostly familiar with NA species. We don't have the nightengale in the US. Millions of migratory birds are killed by flying into windows as well as car collisions. Sadly, if it's a spinal injury (likely), the prognosis is not very good.
There's always hope though. Keep him comfortable and keep trying to
feed. If you see improvement over a day or two, good. Small wild birds that can't stand or perch cannot be returned to wild. In the US they
cannot be kept in captivity and need to be turned over to a rehab.
facility.
cannot stand or p

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,149 Posts
Good food your Aluz, for taking this little guy in to try and save him. Karma to you for being so very kind! I know he much appreciate it.

-Kristen

Reactions: aluz

·
Member of the Month July 2014
3,835 Posts
I'm proud to call you my friend Ana, God bless you for opening your heart and home to this beautiful little Bird,I wish you the best with him..karma to you ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.