Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is Snowpea! He is about 3 months old, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with what type of mutation he has. Let me know if you need anymore pictures :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Can you post apic of the back, please. It looks like it has a yellow face?and a few markings at the neck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea he has a bit of yellow on his face, and kinda greyish stripes on his head...not very many though. And he has two blue dots on his belly and one one his back underneath his wings.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I wish that Nev, Lindsey or Erin see this thread - they are really the good ones to identify mutations - there some others as well - just can't remember their names now. I think it is a yellow face (2) cobalt combo between RP and dom pied; or it could be a DF dom pied. Hope someone can give you the correct answer!
It's a lovely bird!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I can totally agree with you Dries.Us newbies just forget!:p
My guess is also YF 2 cobalt RP and Dom. pied.

I'm so jealous of his colors!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guess RP stands for recessive pied, also when you guys say RP and Dom. Pied does that mean that it can be a mix of both? Also does the DF mean double factor or dark factor? (I've been trying to read up on all the genetics and I've seen "DF" being referred to as both). Thanks for the help btw, it's greatly appreciated. I've been trying to read up on all the genetic stuff, so not to be completely helpless with stuff!

And thanks for the compliments. I thought he was so beautiful when I first saw him, and he has the sweetest personality. :)

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
RP= Recessive Pied
Dom=Dominant Pied
Df=Double factor & Dark factor

Pied=of two or more colors in blotches

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
This is very interesting, I have a hen that is almost exactly the same and have no idea what she is, the only difference being her rump markings are so faint I don't know if it is blue or green, but as she seems to be white with a wash of very pale yellow I think blue series, she's a curious one!

You have a very pretty budgie baby :D congrats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is very interesting, I have a hen that is almost exactly the same and have no idea what she is, the only difference being her rump markings are so faint I don't know if it is blue or green, but as she seems to be white with a wash of very pale yellow I think blue series, she's a curious one!

You have a very pretty budgie baby :D congrats!
Thank you! :)

Do you have any pictures of your hen? I'm curious to see how similar she is! :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
His cere appears to be purply-pink, indicating recessive pied. I speculate he's a combined dominant-recessive pied due to his markings. He could be spangle, too, which might account for the lack of black wing markings -- I hope the experts will comment.

Nev and the other breeders will know.

My Brett is a combined dominant-recessive pied. He has a few black stripes on his head and his only body coloring is on his rump. One eye has an iris ring (a DP trait) and the other is solid black (an RP trait). His cere is purply-pink (an RP trait).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's very beautiful! That is so amazing that he has different eyes, for such little things they have such intricate and awesome genetics. Did you breed him or did you get him from breeder/pet store?

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
He's very beautiful! That is so amazing that he has different eyes, for such little things they have such intricate and awesome genetics. Did you breed him or did you get him from breeder/pet store?
Aw shucks. Thanks. He's the result of breeding two of my budgies. His father is a double factor yellow face 2 normal sky blue split to recessive pied (see the first picture). His mother is either an opaline spangle dominant pied cobalt split to recessive pied, or an opaline spangle combined dominant-recessive pied cobalt (see the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures).

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
When a bird has as few markings as Snowpea it is very difficult to be sure what mutations are involved. He looks to definitely have recessive pied combined with other mutations. These could be spangle or dominant pied or both. If you don't know his parentage the only way to be sure would be to breed from him

He is yellow face type 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree about the yellow face. and from what i've read, you get almost all color and markings removed with double factor spangle, or with expressing both dominant pied and recessive pied. You would know for sure if you bread to a non-pied, non spangle. That would split up the double factors in the chicks and make the genes more visible.

please note I'm very new to this and just going by what I've read and my understanding of how genes work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.