Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you say these are?
Chick #1 I believe is a colbalt opaline greywing?

Chick # 2 it is a grey purple color? I am stumped

Chick #3 it is a darker grey color...stumped again?

Chick # 4 Sky Blue normal...right?

Here is a link to the parents with pictures of them
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=81497

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
This is what Nev said about the chicks' parents:
Greywing cobalt hen. I can see nothing that indicates violet
Normal sky blue ****
Chicks 1 and 2 look like opaline greywing cobalts, which means the Dad must be split to opaline and greywing.
Chick #2 cannot have the grey color-adding factor because neither parent is grey.
Chick #3 is also greywing cobalt. I think it's a normal because the down is grey whereas opaline down is white.
Chick #4 is normal sky blue like Dad.

Since I'm not a mutations expert, you should wait for the experts to come along to confirm or correct my answers.

But I don't need an expert to confirm your chicks are adorable! :loveeyes:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Chick 1 Cobalt Opaline Grey wing

Chick 2 is a mauve Opaline grey wing

Chick 3 is also Mauve Opaline Grey wing

Chick 4 Sky blue

Do you Colony breed?? if not then both parents have a dark factor in order to get Mauve's 2 and 3 are not cobalt the're too "grey" even their cheek patches are grey/silver which is how you tell a grey from a Mauve(mauve's have blue cheek patches Greys have grey/silver) - but they can't be grey because neither parent has the Grey factor

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Chick 1 Cobalt Opaline Grey wing

Chick 2 is a mauve Opaline grey wing

Chick 3 is also Mauve Opaline Grey wing

Chick 4 Sky blue

Do you Colony breed?? if not then both parents have a dark factor in order to get Mauve's 2 and 3 are not cobalt the're too "grey" even their cheek patches are grey/silver which is how you tell a grey from a Mauve(mauve's have blue cheek patches Greys have grey/silver) - but they can't be grey because neither parent has the Grey factor
In this thread http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=81497 you and Nev agreed neither parent is mauve. However, if both parents are cobalt -- i.e., both have one dark factor, as you said -- then 25% of the chicks will be sky blue, 50% will be cobalt and 25% will be mauve. (See dark factor genetics: http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html.) This would explain why Cando's pair produced all three blues.

In other words, I agree with you. :bowdown:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
In this thread http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=81497 you and Nev agreed neither parent is mauve. However, if both parents are cobalt -- i.e., both have one dark factor, as you said -- then 25% of the chicks will be sky blue, 50% will be cobalt and 25% will be mauve. (See dark factor genetics: http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html.) This would explain why Cando's pair produced all three blues.

In other words, I agree with you. :bowdown:
:giggle: yep i know how the dark factors work, and yes the one parent looks just plain sky blue But i have never known a cobalt to be confused as a grey or even look grey and even have grey cheek patches

I had one (Gabriel actually) that from the time he feathered out I kept calling him a Grey violet he was Grey his cheek patches are grey - His parents were not grey! one was violet cobalt and the other I thought was Violet Sky blue - But his body color and cheek patches were Grey so my brain just never associated him as anything else I saw grey my brain registered him as Grey Violet I gave him to a friend of mine a few months ago so Hoping to see what she gets from him since I didn't get many babies from him.. but we both are thinking he's Mauve and we know he's not grey Even though my brain wouldn't register him as anything but grey:laughing:

he was also Opaline and Greywing - I'm starting to think when you add those 2 to Certain Body colors it messes the colors up and makes it harder to tell exactly what they are. and he was clear flight pied to but that usually doesn't mess anything up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I cage breed, never colony breed. But not knowing the backgrounds of the breeding pairs this is my start of record keeping.
Both birds are colbalt... they may look lighter in the pictures but they are much darker than my sky pair (they are almost turquoise in color) these are medium blue color.
Glad to knpw Dad is /greywing and the mauve makes sense... thry do look grey so I can understand that confusion..... the onemauve has a purplish cast to it... could they possibly carry the violet factor? To get a violet factor chick would both parents need to have it or just one? Thanks for the insight

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Only one parent needs to have the violet factor for it to be passed on - when its just 1 parent its considered Single Factor Violet, when both parents have it and pass it on then its Double Factor Violet.

It's hard to tell when Mauve's carry it - but it's highly possibly specially if you know one of their parents have it.

Thank you. I cage breed, never colony breed. But not knowing the backgrounds of the breeding pairs this is my start of record keeping.
Both birds are colbalt... they may look lighter in the pictures but they are much darker than my sky pair (they are almost turquoise in color) these are medium blue color.
Glad to knpw Dad is /greywing and the mauve makes sense... thry do look grey so I can understand that confusion..... the onemauve has a purplish cast to it... could they possibly carry the violet factor? To get a violet factor chick would both parents need to have it or just one? Thanks for the insight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.