Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We recently rescued a little baby budgie that was clinging to our wire doors late one night a few weeks ago. We immediately put it into the cage we already owned with my female budgie Tibbles, who is around 5/6 years old.

The new budgie (still unnamed, unfortunately) went straight for the food and was non stop eating. However, Tibbles was very hostile and was biting the new budgie occasionally and we had to shoo her away. We decided to get a new cage, one that we found online and were able to move the little budgie straight away. (Otherwise, we had set up a cereal box to separate them overnight because I was very worried.)

This new cage is a fraction of the size we already have and I want to get it moved in with my older budgie eventually.
I've read a few threads already that have suggested having the cages side by side, which we've been doing since we separated them. I'm just worried that when we do eventually join them together, Tibbles (older bird) will still be hostile and not like the smaller bird.
We have had another bird in with Tibbles before, but they were joined whilst Tibbles was only 1 and I believe that the other bird was much older when we bought him. Mossy (the other bird) has since past and Tibbles has been alone for over a year.

A few threads have suggested joining them in a mutual "playground" which I don't have, and I don't have anywhere safe for them to be out of the cage because of my dog (the reason we even found the small bird was because he was barking madly at it).

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas/suggestions on how I can approach joining the two into the bigger cage (occupied by Tibbles, the older bird).

Would buying a new cage and new toys be a better option than trying to join them into the bigger cage? Please let me know your ideas and thoughts.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Ideally, it would be better for your budgies to get to know each other and interact in neutral territory. Tibbles feels threatened by the new budgie invading her space and she responds to it by being aggressive to him.
You could do a total cage makeover and rearrange everything on Tibbles cage and then see if her behaviour towards the little fellow changes or not.
This is a case of trial and error, since she had a mate till 1 year ago, there is hope that she will accept your rescued budgie.
Since the cage your rescued budgie is in is smaller, you could buy another cage for him, one big enough for two birds and continue to keep both cages close by for a while and eventually move Tibbles into that new cage. This could work out better because the cage is new to her and she won't feel possessive over it.
And worse case scenario, if Tibbles still doesn't get along with your rescued budgie, you will have two spacious cages for each of them to live in.

Best of luck with everything. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks!

Do you think keeping their cages close together is a sufficient enough way to get to know each other? Our little budgie is desperate for interaction with other budgies, as the first night we rescued him he wanted to get close to Tibbles. The cage we bought for him, came with mirrors and he's stuck very close to them but they're the only toys in there so I can't remove them. I know that mirrors are not an ideal toy for budgies..

Should I also switch around Tibbles' cage as well even if they don't move in together?

I intend on buying a new cage this weekend, one that will be big enough for the both of them.. And will try move the two birds together into that new cage after a few more weeks.

Thank you again!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Let one bird out of its cage so it can visit the other caged bird. The cage bars will provide some protection in the event of a squabble and will enable the caged bird to retreat from the uncaged bird if it wants to. Supervise and observe their interactions to determine their compatibility. Place a piece of millet in the cage bars and observe how they share food.

·
Administrator
56,604 Posts
Hi Emma,

Having the two cages side by side is a good start and I would definitely recommend that arrangement for at least a few days.

I completely agree with aluz. She gave you the exact advice I would have. I would purchase a cage large enough for two budgies and move the rescue bird into that cage then have Tibbles join him. If the two don't get along you will have two decent sized cages. (Bigger is always better when it comes to housing for your budgies!)

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
We'd love to see pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.