Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone,
this is my first thread,
one of my budgie shows lots of illness signs like sneezing,black poop,bumble foot, respiratory problems and underweight also it has started to get this weird white scratching on his beak and food has started to stick to his beak it is quite difficult to remove the foods as it is stuck to his beak and he is untamed.
I think this might be either vitamin a deficiency or scaly face.
I had read from previous thread that applying virgin coconut oil might help.
we also took him to the vet few month ago he said it isn't scaly face it is because of respiratory problems. we even got him Harrison high potency but he does not EAT, all he eats is seeds.
can anyone help me to recover him from bumble foot and being underweight and also he is on the second stage of bumble foot plus how to improve his overall health.
plus he does not fly much nowadays :S:S:S:S:S:S if you need any more info please aware me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did you give him medicine for his respiratory problems? Did he get tested for anything? Can you post a picture of him and his poops?

Are you offering him any greens or veggies? This is very important to his health. To help with weaning him onto veggies, you can get a bale of dried timothy hay or alfalfa in the small animal section of your pet store (usually sold for rabbits and rodents). Try putting things like broccoli and celery in his cage bars and sprinkling plates of veggies you offer with millet. In the mean time, you should put a vitamin supplement in his water. Check to see that it has vitamin D3. There is a sticky under the health section about the importance of this nutrient.

For bumble foot, take out any plastic perches and give more natural wood options, not too rough or smooth. Rope perches are great too. I am not positive on the treatment for bumblefoot myself, but you can do a quick thread search. Someone more experienced can give you advice to treat the respiratory problem, but you should really ask an avian vet. There are a few types of respiratory infections, both bacterial and parasitic I think.

·
Member of the Month July 2008
8,357 Posts
Hi and welcome to Talkbudgies!

I am sorry that one of your budgies is suffering from so many problems. How many budgies do you have, and are the others healthy? How old is the sick budgie?

The health issues are very complex, and I think you should look for an avian vet.In the meantime, separate him from the others, and keep him warm. An avian vet can examine him, weigh him, diagnose the problems, and make sure the budgie gets the right treatment.

I hope your budgie will get the helps he needs soon,

Sigrid

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thank you for your suggestion
i tried to feed him red chilli peeper since they is high in iron by using your suggestion it really works he is putting the food in his mouth but he doesn't know how to bite it and since i am converting it to Harrison the food company clearly states do not feed any other Medicines
when we took him to vet he got tested for scaly mites and he said he doesn't have any but then what are the scratches.

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
Hi there

When you took him to the vet, didn't the vet give you treatment for bumblefoot? It is a serious thing and needs treatment A.S.A.P. The little guy can lose his feet in a worst case, untreated scenario, so you need to be on top of this.

Good luck with it all

·
Registered
435 Posts
What kind of vet did you take him to? Was it a regular vet or a good avian vet? Your budgie seems to have a few different problems and the food getting stuck to his beak seems more like some kind of fungus/yeast or some other kind of infection.
Your bird is sick and trying to convert him when he is sick is not a good idea. You say he is underweight, he needs anything he prefers to eat right now because from what you say, he might be starving slowly. If he gets healthy again, you might try to convert him, but now is not a good time.

You should take him to a competent avian vet and get his crop flush/swab and stool samples tested. You should seek treatment from the vet if he has bumblefoot. If he is losing weight and has sticky stuff, he might have a number of different diseases that causes vomiting, drooling etc and they all make the bird starve. For respiratory problems, your vet will need to find out if it is caused by some deficiency or any infection or parasites. They all require different medication and if your bird is the way you described, he does not have much time left unless there is a good avian vet involved.

Please take him to an avian vet with a proper diagnostic approach. Make sure you keep him warm. Keep pedialyte/gatorade in hand as well as handfeeding formula in case you need to support his eating. If he likes seeds and millet, I would recommend giving them to him now because he needs food in him at the moment, even though it might not be easy to digest.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think it is worthy of note: budgie poop normally is half black, they do typically sneeze a bit after preening, lumpy feet are somewhat normal, so if its not bugging him its not an issue, and scratches on the beak are also somewhat common from normal . Make swearure you are not overreacting on anything, please, especially if you are a new budgie owner and you have little experience

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It sounds like a vitamin A deficiency could possibly be the cause of both the bumblefoot and beak problems. An avian vet should prescribe a topical antibiotic cream for his feet. Could you post some photos of his feet as well? It's important that you replace his wooden dowel perches with natural branch perches or rope perches. This could also be the cause of his bumblefoot. Since he's a seed junkie like my bird, I know that getting him to eat foods that are high in Vitamin A may be hard. Since he is underweight, do continue to feed him seeds as giggly suggested so that he doesn't starve. Carrots, dark leafy greens, red peppers, and pumpkin are all high in Vit. A. If he's having trouble biting these foods as you mentioned, maybe try to find an organic baby food at the grocery store that has carrots or pumpkin as the main ingredient. You could try sprinkling shredded carrot over his seeds as well.

Did your vet diagnose a respiratory infection? If so, he really should have prescribed medication. What are his symptoms?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If your bird is in ill health try growing organic seeds or just put them in water until they sprout I have 9 males and 10 females since I have been feeding them organic plants they have alot more energy I think this will help your bird if there is a health problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for your help
we are going to give him a few medications but they are not prescribed also what seeds is it the millets that I should try growing.

thank you so much:);)

·
Member of the Month July 2008
8,357 Posts
thanks guys for your help
we are going to give him a few medications but they are not prescribed also what seeds is it the millets that I should try growing.

thank you so much:);)
Any of their birdseed can be sprouted. It is also a sign that the seeds are fresh if they sprout. Old seed won't sprout.
It is worth a try.
Have you tried feeding them carrots, spinach or kale for a possible Vitamin A deficiency? Or maybe you have some palm oil?

Sigrid

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had some experience with sick birds, the best thing to do is to keep them warm, i have a small hosp cage that i put mine into so that they can be monitored better. I than cover on half with a blanket/towel and use a small infrared heater on that side and leave the other end cooler.
Now some may disagree but if any of mine stopped eating I made a very runny porridge with honey and a vitamin mix and syringe fed - baytril is an antibiotic which can sometimes be prescribed by the vet (maybe ask about this???). I found this to be quite successful even in non trained birds. (just got bitten a lot)
maybe try treat for bumble foot/scaly mites and see if this makes any difference to the beak. If you are having respiratory issues, is the bird struggling to breath or just sneezing ?? a nebulizer or humidifier is good to loosen any mucus and bits in the tract and may be worth a go.
Hope some of this helps xx :/
(Please correct me if i am wrong)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Hi I think this website can give u some inspiration.
http://www.exoticdvm.com/birds

Promising outcome wif the supplements.

I cant get the soother plus cream in my country so I use my aloe jelly n activator from Forever Living Products. Very fast acting for reducing inflammation.

Gd luck to u.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So did u use aloe Vera jelly and activator from forever living products???????

Plz reply:eek:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
So did u use aloe Vera jelly and activator from forever living products???????

Plz reply:eek:
Sorry I hv been missing out ur thread I didnt surf it too often.
Yes. I use this combination for bumble foot. I have been using for many years for my birds on minor wound or sore. U can see effect approximately half hr for foot sore. He stood on both leg soon after e application. It was to sore for him n he had to curl up the sore foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Home remedy

hi, this is what I posted in my thread.

"I brought home four budgies in January. In the course of learning about them and caring for them, I have identified a medicinal mixture that I found useful for two of my bird who had stained vent and above-cere feathers. One more had tail bobbing and rapid breathing even when no one was close to the cage. I know there is no substitute for an Avian Vet, but I do not have access to one in Mumbai, India. So here is the remedy I came up with. The proportions were ad hoc and I do not know long term effects of this. Please use at own risk.

250 gm washed neem leaves (strong germicide)

250 gm washed basil (tulsi) leaves (has anti-biotic properties)

100 gm peeled garlic cloves (has anti-biotic properties)

100 gm peeled turmeric bulbs (has anti-biotic properties, preservative in the mixture)

100 gm cinnamon sticks (has anti-biotic properties, an 'upper' for budgies)

I ground all of these together in a grinder after adding water. There was a thick paste that I left to dry in the sun. The paste became a hard cake-like thing that I ground again into powder. I have around 150 gm powder of this mixture. This cost me INR 50, which less than 1 USD. I plan to add marigold flowers to this mix as my bird love to eat the petals and, probably, it has anti-yeast properties.

I put this powder in their soft food and water. I mix ACV in water with the powder so that bacteria formation in the solution gets delayed.

I've got good results for all the birds till now. One of them had a bad moult when it came to us-I could see the skin on its head. It also had rapid breathing and tail bobbing issues. This one is the ****est now it seems. Another one, with stained cere feathers and vent feathers, has just recovered, I think, because the feather condition is getting better. I give them spirulina and aloe juice in moderation, so the recovery process could be assisted by these two as well."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.