Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a bit of help in finding out which mutation my budgie is. From what I saw in guides I'm thinking something in the lines of recessive pied, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'd like your opinions on what sex it is... I know it's early, but I'm curious and I really wanna name it now lol
Plus if it is a recessive pied it's even more complicated for me to guess cuz the other 2 birds I owned in the past had blue ceres and were easy. It was a gift from my boyfriend and he didnt think to ask the clerk at the petshop what gender it was or how old...

Here are a couple of pictures of this lovely little thing! The colors are very much like in person.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can tell your budgie is a female due to the white around her nares. and she is a baby, she still has her cute little baby bars on going down her head. She is very pretty. just take the taming slow and be sure to give her pellets and fresh fruit and vegies every day. I can see she already has out of time cage which is wonderful!! you will get alot of great info and help with your new little girl here!!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
I believe you are right on the resessive pied part as for gender I can't remember if the pieds are a mutation where the males cere looks female or not? A very beautiful Budgie though!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's what I saw before, in recessive pieds the male's cere doesn't turn blue... it's said to turn pink.
So that's why I'm confused.
But people here seem to think the white aera around her nares is a sign of female

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird is a recessive pied sky blue. It is quite young but I'm fairly sure it is female. What you have read is correct, a female recessive pied will get a brown cere when it's mature and a male recessive pied's cere will stay pinkish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.