Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zulu is one of my new budgie babies. I'm wondering if you could help me figure out what mutation he/she is. I'm wondering if possibly he is a rainbow, but I don't think so because I'm guessing it's a greywing. But I'm a noob with mutations, so I dunno!!! My possible guess is Type 2 yellowface sky blue greywing opaline? Wow, that's a mouthful! Anyway, let me know what you think this baby's mutation is and if it is a hen or ****. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
It looks to be a male. did you use flash in the photos?

He looks like a Yellow face type 2, greywing, opaline, sky blue. Very pretty. Looks like mine but female. Very pretty boy you have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I definitely like him, Lol! I was also leaning towards him being a male. Appearance wise, I think he is my favorite, but don't tell the others ;) And the pics were taken without a flash if that helps!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Looks like a boy.
He is much brighter than my sky blue greywing opaline YF:

Maybe there is some variation in brightness for greywings. If he is very bright, he might be a clearwing, from what I've read they sometimes have faint grey wing markings.
I'm sure an expert will chime in soon with our answer. Nev, Barrie?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think you are right.

But I dont think he's a clearwing, cause from what I recently
learnt in my rainbow posts, their wings are very dull & light and
their body is bright. And im not sure he's suppose to have the patch
under his head between his wings if he's a clearwing. Maybe greywing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, he does look a lot like that bird. I hope that Nev will throw his 2 cents in! He is such a pro at this mutation stuff ;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Zulu is one of my new budgie babies. I'm wondering if you could help me figure out what mutation he/she is. I'm wondering if possibly he is a rainbow, but I don't think so because I'm guessing it's a greywing. But I'm a noob with mutations, so I dunno!!! My possible guess is Type 2 yellowface sky blue greywing opaline? Wow, that's a mouthful! Anyway, let me know what you think this baby's mutation is and if it is a hen or ****. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
He is very beautiful. His body colour is too bright for a greywing and his wings markings are too dark for a clearwing. I think he is a yellow face opaline full body greywing. A full body greywing is a combination of the greywing & clearwing mutations. The yellow has spread very little and unless it spreads a lot more after his moult I think you have a type 1 yellow face

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input! I truly appreciate it! Hopefully I can continue to learn and get this mutation thing figured out.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Your bird is not opaline and he looks cinnamon to me
Based on another picture I posted in May, you identified him as greywing. Here is that photo and some more:

Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this thread, but I am curious.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
So is he definitely not opaline? I think I see blue on his shoulders and the tops of his wings.
nope, not an opaline. opaline causes body colour to show on the wings but it also affects the position of the markings. yours has got normal markings, the barring is running right from the forehead to the wings. if opaline was present the markings would be greatly reduced on the head and probably between the wings too.

there are a few oplaines and a normal on this page for comparison:

http://www.budgie-info.com/opaline-budgie.html

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I still think he's my prettiest budgie! His flight feathers, tail and the back of his head look much more purple than the pictures show, so he has the widest range of colours of all my birds. Like a pastel rainbow. His face is as bright yellow as my recessive pied's is though. It seems like the greywing thing didn't fade his face.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
greywing only reduces the body colour (ie the blue or green or grey), cheek patches and markings it does not effect the base colour (white or yellow) as far as i know.

it is lovely to have the bright yellow face isn't it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.