Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodmorning everyone,

I need help in identifiying the **** (the dad of the three chicks)

This is my first time breeding english budgies, I used to breed the normal/small one:p

Anyway here are the pictures

This the ****, I am not sure is he olive green or grey green:S, I dont know how to defferentiate between these two mutations

==
This is the hen, she is very cute, her mutation I am sure is yellow face type 2 opaline spangle sky blue...

===

and these are the three chicks
This is the oldest, I think he/she is yellow grey/olive spangle... depends on dads mutation

This the second one, he/she exactly like dad

Overall picture of the chicks:D

Thanks in advance for your help...
TB is the best :D

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
1) I would agree either a grey green yellow face or a olive green. I am leaning towards olive green

2) Have no clue maybe rainbow

3) green spangle

4) Yellow face olive green

Maybe

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
I'm not sure but your budgies are gorgeous! I would take the plastic perches out though. They're bad for birds feet. You can put in some rope, wood, and natural perches. :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Your avian family is beautiful! :D
This is the hen, she is very cute, her mutation I am sure is yellow face type 2 opaline spangle sky blue...

I notice the hen has clear flight feathers. I wonder if that factors into her mutation at all?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your **** bird is a grey green. The way to tell the difference between a grey green & an olive is by the colour of the cheek patches (or the tail)

You are right about the hens mutation - yellow face type 2 opaline spangle sky blue. She has no other mutations showing

The first chick is a spangle grey green

The second chick is a very handsome normal grey green male

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i agree with nev, greygreens have black tails and blue or grey rather than violet cheek patches.

i was wondering if the hen is golden faced as the mask seems a very deep yellow? what do you think nev?

amberlea, i am not sure what you mean by a yellow face olive or yellow face grey green? all olive and grey green have a yellow mask...?

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
HAHA, I am so bad at mutations.

Tonic. Whenever I see a yellow face in a bird I say yellow face :giggle:

I am still new to mutations so am learning but I guess I really have not got the hang of it :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
that fine amberlea! it takes time.

the term yellow face is usually used for one of two varieties that cause yellow on the mask and body of blue series birds...

·
Registered
75 Posts
they re so gorgeous,but i wonder if the mum isn't got clearwing?.she s just yf 2 opaline spangle sky blue and not yf2 opaline spangle clearwing sky blue?and two others chicks may have one dark factor like dad,,?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your help, really appreciated :D

I am happy that it turns out to be the grey factor and not the dark factor

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just noticed that the grey factor is dominant and comes as either SF or DF.
In this family, the dad is DF grey, and the babies are SF grey,, right??

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just noticed that the grey factor is dominant and comes as either SF or DF.
In this family, the dad is DF grey, and the babies are SF grey,, right??
perhaps. if he only ever produces greys and greygreens then he is df grey, but with only three chicks so far it is not certain yet.

all his chicks will be sf grey though as the hen is not grey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.