Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cana budgie have 2 fathers at once, i'm only wondering as my budgies had a baby and I need to find out which one of my males is the father I saw both mating with the mother and i'm pretty sure they are both the father but i'm not sure can budgies have 2 fathers at once ???:S

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
A female can mate with as many males as are available, but only one sperm from one male will fertilize each egg. Each egg a hen lays could be from a different father though if she has mated with that multiple males.

If the males are different mutations depending on what they are you might be able to tell who the father of each chick is :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The two males you've posted both look too young in these pictures to be fathers. The chick is not opaline so the bird in the first picture can't be it's father because if both parents were opaline the chick would be opaline

·
Registered
281 Posts
I assume that the dad pictures are of them, when babies...

...agree with Nev, but I'll propose that the last (yellow-based dad) bird is the father...

..my reasoning would be :
1) opaline (as Nev mentioned) would have been present in baby, if dad 1 (opaline spangle) was father;

2) I had similar lightly marked wing-feathers (from similar dad/mom)- and although the dad 2 appear "all yellow" (either DF Spangle or Lutino)...the babies did not have dominant green body colour (as here also)...rather (like this baby)...a blue-series bird,with YF factor/influence from mom...

...meaning that the dad 2, may very well be split for blue..although difficult to see visually!...

..the baby (to me) appear tobe"lightly-marked" spangle,in which case dad 2 (being a DF spangle) makes sense then...

what are others thoughts?

..maybe adult photos (older than 5months) of baby will help; also of vent areafor both dad /baby?!

beautiful bird -hope it gives great joy!
jacodk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.