Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just got back home and I see that my budgies have some red poop inside the cage..
it's kinda orange looking
my mom gave them some carrot today..can carrot color the poop?!
the budgies seem fine..also their feet and beak area are orange from the carrot .. but that's normal. what about the poop? :(

not much red poop. I identifed only 5 or something..
picture :

help :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup carrot can change poop colour (although it can appear more orange or yellow) as can beets (bloody red/purple), and even dark green vegetables (green) if they eat enough of it.

Although I can't see anything red in that photo the dropping looks brown with some orange.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup carrot can change poop colour (although it can appear more orange or yellow) as can beets (bloody red/purple), and even dark green vegetables (green) if they eat enough of it.

Although I can't see anything red in that photo the dropping looks brown with some orange.
It came out brown in this...there is another one in the cage which is super red..
okay..pheww thank you :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh could you post the pic of the super red one? Is it a bright red like fresh blood?
Then there might be a vent issue. You should try and get a look at their vent just to make sure.

But yes as a general rule droppings change colour depending on what they eat. If the colour persists for more than three hours (and they haven't had anything like beets or carrot) then it is something else entirely

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh could you post the pic of the super red one? Is it a bright red like fresh blood?
Then there might be a vent issue. You should try and get a look at their vent just to make sure.

But yes as a general rule droppings change colour depending on what they eat. If the colour persists for more than three hours (and they haven't had anything like beets or carrot) then it is something else entirely
Ok actually..I looked at it again and it looks orange - brown as well.. but brighter..
I guess I was so panicked that it's blood that I thought it's red.
I looked at the vent everything seems fine and clean..
guess they really liked that carrot because they always eat carrot and the color doesn't change :budgie:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I wondered about this also as my little guy had bright green poo. I assumed it was from his veggies though so I wasnt too alarmed. ;)
My budgies started to have green poo a while ago..I always give them appels and stuff so I got used to that..but not to red xDDD

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,602 Posts
Well I think carrots will change it a little but if it is blood red then I would watch them. stop feeding them foods that change poop color and see if any more red poop shows up. I do not think carrots will make it red.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Help

It would not hurt to give some probiotics for a few days, Just in case. Blessings, Jo Ann:p

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone ! :D poop is now officialy back to usual XD
it wasn't blood red.. just really weird orange . :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.