Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Please help me understand what this means? I'm sorry I have no pictures,
but I have no working camera at the moment. I have what I thought to be a lutino hen. In speaking with the breeder, she says the bird is a double spangle. She is bright yellow, only white spots on her throat. Feet are pink. Cere is kind of a pinky/lavender color with very clearly defined white circles around the nares.

Does this title match up with her description at all? Is this something that would produce anything interesting if bred with a dark green spangle ****?

I know nothing, and I know I know nothing, but I'd like to make sure
letting these two birds stay together isn't a mistake. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for at least trying to slog through this post!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Does she have black or red eyes? :) If she has black then she is probably a double factor spangle from your description :)

The two babies on the left here are white double factor spangles(sorry I dont have any yellow pics currently)-

She can be masking things just like an ino or dark eyed clear can, and all of her babies will be single factor spangles :)

If you mated her to a single factor spangle (One with spangle wing markings not all one color like she is) Half of the babies would be double factors(like mom) and half would be single factors (like dad) :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for answering. Yes, her eyes are dark, so she must be a double spangle. And if I let them stay together, I'd get more of the parents. That's way down the road, though. I'm just having fun daydreaming.

Your babies are so cute! Just lovely!

Thanks so much! I'm having fun learning here :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Thank you so much for answering. Yes, her eyes are dark, so she must be a double spangle. And if I let them stay together, I'd get more of the parents. That's way down the road, though. I'm just having fun daydreaming.

Your babies are so cute! Just lovely!

Thanks so much! I'm having fun learning here :)
Aww thanks! :giggle: No problem at all glad to help :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well with a dbl factor spangle you breed it to a normal with the larges, roundest necklace spots possible. You pick a partner with the a clean head and good body markings. Why?

#1 a dbl factor spangle will ALWAYS produce 100% spangle chicks. You don't need a spangle partner to do this.

#2 YOu have NO idea what the spangle markings look like on this birds because they are hidden. So by picking a NORMAL partner with a clean head, and clean - well defined body markings you hope to put this on the offspring.

#3 another thing that makes spangles special is the bulls eye necklace spots. They are to be large dark rings with clear centers. you can not achieve this with dinky pin prick spots.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cere is kind of a pinky/lavender color with very clearly defined white circles around the nares.
How young is your bird? This description sounds like a boy to me. Girls have whitish ceres, often with light blue on them. But if she is very very young, then maybe she still has the baby pink, and the white areas haven't come in so much yet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does she have black or red eyes? :)

The two babies on the left here are white double factor spangles(sorry I dont have any yellow pics currently)-

Hi Lindsey...wonderful DF Spangle "whites" you have there!

Just wondering...but isn't the "yellow bird" in your signature a DF Spangle in Yellow-series?...or is it of another kind?

I've got two DF Spangles (all yellow) & one DF Spangle (all white) from a SF Spangle grey **** & a SF Spangle Opaline Light Green hen....

...the DF white baby coming from the dad, as Grey belongs to the White-(or otherwise called Blue-) series birds...

I'll post some pictures, once they leave the nest!

Enjoy your birds "PennyWhistle",...

.. and the SF Light green babies that may come from your dad-mom paring will really look great...so send us baby picture in 6 or 10 months time...
jacodk

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

How young is your bird? This description sounds like a boy to me. Girls have whitish ceres, often with light blue on them. But if she is very very young, then maybe she still has the baby pink, and the white areas haven't come in so much yet.
My bird is older than I thought it was. And sex-wise, you called it. You were right. "Daisy" is a boy. A big, rather bullying boy, now known as Ares, the Budgie of War, which complements his temperament a lot more than Daisy ever did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.