Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budgies had their first clutch.I have a breeding journal with pictures of the parents Raffaello and Donatella.The dad is a light green opaline(if I'm right about the chick mutations he also split for cinnamon)he may also have a violet factor since his mum and a sister were violet..Mum is a skyblue double factor violet(or a cobalt single factor violet)cinnamon spangle.Here are their five chicks,There are some things I'm pretty sure about,other things I doubt and some things where I don't have a clue.I need some help identifying their exact mutations.I can tell their gender only by their mutations(opalines are hens,non opalines are cocks)
First chick I think is a light green spangle male

Second chick I believe is a dark green opaline spangle hen

Third chick is pretty hard for me.I think it's an opaline cinnamon light green hen.Whatever she is I think she's the most beautiful of the clutch

Now here are the hard ones.both are opaline blue hens.they look violet.one is probably cinnamon.I'm unable to tell if they are skyblue or cobalt and if the violet is single factor or double factor.pictures of these two were taken with natural light.
fourth chick

fith chick

heres another picture of them together

Thankyou in advance for your replies

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Chick 4 is a cobalt opaline, and I would guess DF violet :)
The annoying thing about violet is that it does not show up on camara well even in natural lighting, but she looks exactly like my cobalt double factor violet does on camara, and if she is bright violet in real life she is a double factor :)

Baby 5 is a skyblue cinnamon opaline :) I would guess she is also a violet.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The annoying thing about violet is that it does not show up on camara well even in natural lighting, but she looks exactly like my cobalt double factor violet does on camara, and if she is bright violet in real life she is a double factor :)

I agree that the 4th chick looks like visual violet. That means that the bird must be a cobalt. what i don't understand is where it comes from. The parents are light green and mom is a skyblue - so no dark factors. Cobalt is impossible from this pair - if I'm not mistaken. Also to get a dubble factor violet both parents must be violet and only the mom has maybe a violet factor. Someone with knowledge have to explain.
I don't like green birds much, but yours are stunning, especially the first spangle.

·
19,551 Posts
I agree that the 4th chick looks like visual violet. That means that the bird must be a cobalt. what i don't understand is where it comes from. The parents are light green and mom is a skyblue - so no dark factors. Cobalt is impossible from this pair - if I'm not mistaken. Also to get a dubble factor violet both parents must be violet and only the mom has maybe a violet factor. Someone with knowledge have to explain.
I don't like green birds much, but yours are stunning, especially the first spangle.
the mom must be a cobalt cinnamon, and the cinnamon is just washing her out.
The father must also be a violet if one of the babies is a df violet, which would make sence because his mom and sister were violets :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

the mom must be a cobalt cinnamon, and the cinnamon is just washing her out.
The father must also be a violet if one of the babies is a df violet, which would make sence because his mom and sister were violets :)
Yes, this make sense. One more thing: how can you tell (by looking and not breeding) if a bird is DF violet? I have violet pair and the pin feathers are coming out. 1 baby has the deepest violet I've ever seen. Think it must be DF violet.

·
19,551 Posts
Yes, this make sense. One more thing: how can you tell (by looking and not breeding) if a bird is DF violet? I have violet pair and the pin feathers are coming out. 1 baby has the deepest violet I've ever seen. Think it must be DF violet.
Yes DF violets are easy to tell from sf, the are really deep violet :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thankyou Lindsey.Strange thing about chick 4 is that in the picture che looks less violet on the upper part of her back while in real life she looks more violet there.Chick 5 looks violet on the back in this picture like in real life.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
One of the parents must have a dark factor because it is showing up in 3 of the chicks

Spangle light green
Opaline spangle dark green
Opaline cinnamon light green
Opaline cobalt
Opaline cinnamon cobalt violet (I think cobalt because the cinnamon mutation washes out the body color)

The fourth chicks is probably violet also but it is not showing up well in the pictures. Violet is usually obvious on a cobalt. Many single factor violets look more violet than some of the double factor violets. To be double factor the gene must come from both parents. If one of the parents is double factor violet all the chicks would be at least single factor violet

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou Nev and Jill.I guess I was lucky to get 5 chicks all different from each over.I took some more pictures of chick number 4.They are closer to her real colour but visually it's brighter in real life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.