Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new here and am so excited to have found you!

I have some budgies and am just curious if anyone would like to help me figure out what color they all are. :) I would greatly appreciate any help you can give.

I have two bonded pairs. One pair have 5 babies getting ready to leave the nest. I'd like to be able to tell their new owners what color they are.

I also would l LOVE advice on which one I should keep. I plan to keep just one!

This is Tweedy (blue) & Fabio (green): Not sure what their true colors are..

Better Picture of Fabio:

This is Rosie (white) and Zeus (blue): Im not sure what to call their colors either-she is mostly white but has a blue rump:

Now Tweety & Fabio have 5 babies here they are...What do you think:

Oldest Baby:

Baby Number two...I think this one would be considered grey:

Baby Number Three (this one is GORGEOUS!):

Baby Number Four:

And Lastly baby Number Five:

Any ideas? This is FUN!

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Wow- your flock is beautiful. Sorry I cannot help you with the mutations but I will give this thread a "bump" in the hopes that someone will come along who can :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
1st photo: male light green normal greywing & female skyblue normal.
2nd Photo: male single factor yellow-faced type 1st cobalt normal and male albino.
3rd photo: male juvenile single factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal greywing.
4th Photo: single factor yellow-faced type 2nd mauve normal greywing.
5th Photo: Grey normal.
6th photo: single factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal greywing.
7th Photo: Grey normal greywing.
8th Photo: single factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal.

Hope this helps.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Hi foryoublue welcome to the forum

The pictures are not really clear enough to be sure that I have got all the shades exactly right but here's what I think they are:

Fabio – normal dark green
Tweedy – normal sky blue
Rosie – recessive pied (looks male in that picture)
Zeus – Type 1 yellow face cobalt

Chicks:
1/ yellow face greywing (probably cobalt)
2/ normal mauve (If Fabio & Tweedy are the parents it can't be genetically grey)
3/ yellow face greywing sky blue
4/ greywing (blue)
5/ yellow face sky blue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Thank you guys so much! lol Poor Zeus he just LOVES Rosie! :eek: My husband is dying laughing!

Anyhow, thank you so much. Such great information. :)

I didn't know you could tell the sex so early in the babies!

I just love the little guys..what a fun experience this was for my family. My daughter will have fun re-naming Rosie. :budgie:

The little stinkers move so much it is hard to get a good shot...Once they all come out of the nest I will get better pictures.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If Tweedy and Fabio had NO green babies (just yellowface) I doubt Fabio is green. He's more likely a yellowface. With a lot of bleeding of the yellow into his mauve or gray body. If he was green, at least half of his babies should also be green. He could be a yellowface gray, which could produce a gray baby. Or the gray baby could be mauve, in which case he's probably a yellowface mauve.

If Rosie is an adult, "she" is a male. Double recessive pied. Recessive pied males have baby-like pink/purple noses as adults. Females have normal brown/red noses.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
We need some more pictures! :) Can you post some of Fabio from behind with a clear shot of his tail? The 2 mail feathers look black in that pic, is that the case in person?

I think he is a yellowface grey, which would make sense with all of his yellowface chicks and the grey one, I dont think it is mauve and it is impossible to have a mauve chick with a sky blue parent unless she is darker than she looks in those pics. I could be wrong but it also looks like he has more going on than just normal in those pics too like greywing.

Some more pics would be GREAT! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay! I took some more pictures... :) This is so much fun! Since I posted last, we had another baby leave the nest. Momma bird is super protective and gets aggressive so we try not to bug her and the next box unless we are taking them out to handle..She was such an awesome sweetheart until she started breeding. :(

The other two babies should be out in a day or two so I will get some real good perch pictures of them soon.

For now here is what I have. :)

First picture is a better one of Fabio...He is so handsome! lol That is the back green baby from this clutch, someone said it may be a male in a previous post....So I think they did have one green. :)

The second picture is of Momma on right and baby on left...I think this one is a boy...What do you think?

Last is the one we call the grey one, someone said mauve...I am thinking maybe a girl? What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
19,551 Posts
Thank you for the additional pics! :) Lets wait for Nev to confirm or disagree, but I think:

Fabio is a yellowface grey greywing, I bet he or Tweedy are violet too as some of the chicks look violet.
Tweedy- Sky blue normal (looks violet in second pic)

Baby 1- (looks like a male in the first pic) Grey yellowface greywing like dad.
Baby 2- (Male) normal grey.
Baby 3-(Male if the 2nd of the new pics are the same baby) Sky blue yellowface type 2 greywing (probably violet from how bright he is)
Baby 4- Opaline greywing (could be blue or grey but I would lean toward grey from the color of her tail)
Baby 5- Sky blue yellowface normal

There are no green babies in this clutch, yellowface can make blue look green though when the blue and yellow mix ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Lindsey! This really is so much fun! I love all my babies no matter what color they are, but it is fun to figure it all out. Plus when they go to their new homes it will be really nice to be able to tell their owners.

I really would like to keep one, I was thinking a female..so keeping my fingers crossed that one of the last two will be little girl..Once they come out..maybe a day or two, I will post those guys too!

My daughter was super happy to get to rename Rosie..I think we settled on Marshmallow! lol

·
19,551 Posts
Thanks Lindsey! This really is so much fun! I love all my babies no matter what color they are, but it is fun to figure it all out. Plus when they go to their new homes it will be really nice to be able to tell their owners.

I really would like to keep one, I was thinking a female..so keeping my fingers crossed that one of the last two will be little girl..Once they come out..maybe a day or two, I will post those guys too!

My daughter was super happy to get to rename Rosie..I think we settled on Marshmallow! lol
Lol! I agree it is fun figuring out their mutations! :) And yes, Rosie does need a new name for sure :giggle:

If baby 4 is an opaline (the down looks very light to me like an opaline) it has to be a female genetically, but time will tell. If you post some clear pictures of their ceres in natural lighting we can help you figure out what the 2 youngest are for sure :)

Congrats again on all of them! They really are beautiful and quite a mix of mutations for sure! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
In the new picture Fabio looks like a yellow face greywing violet grey, he certainly doesn't look green as I thought in the earlier pictures. The cheek patches would not be as bright as they are if he was just grey and not violet as well. The grey chick looks male

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lindsey! We have a new egg!

I just looked in her box tonight to check on the last two babies and there it was..lol! :eek: Fabio that sly dog.

I just posted a question about it on the breeding board..I would love some advice.. :) Does Neville breed too? I would appreciate whatever advice I can get..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay!! I have pictures of the last two babies to come out of the nest. :)

I would LOVE to know what these two babies are. :budgie:

The first is blue with a yellow head.

The second one we are keeping (soft grey one) and I would love to know if you have any guesses on if it is a male or female. I am hoping female. :)

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
This is fascinating! For the truly ignorant among us,
could someone tell me what genetic trait is causing
that golden wash over the wings?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.