Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, Im new to budgies as of today. Im used to dealing with cockatoo's and african greys, so my color genetic pallet is some what limited. Ive aquired a small flock of budgies and im at a loss to what some of the color mutations are. Sorry in advanced if this is a long post due to the pictures, but I just want to figure out what I have. Thanks for the insight!

Picture one, English m/f.

Picture two, English m

Picture three, f

Picture four, f

Now for the babies. Here are front and back pictures, I really am fond of #2's front mottled or pied grey/green.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Picture 1/
The male is normal grey and the female is opaline grey. They are different shades of grey because of the base color (dark factor). The female could also be cinnamon if her markings are brown

Picture 2/
Opaline spangle grey green

Picture 3/
Spangle grey

Picture 4/
Cinnamon grey

Chicks
1/ Greywing grey
2/ Yellow face greywing (or possibly cinnamon) - not sure of the body color but unfortunately the mottled effect will probably disappear when it matures
3/ yellow face greywing sky blue female. (or possible cinnamon sky blue)
4/ Greywing grey male
5/ Yellow face greywing (or possibly cinnamon)

Which are the parents? If number 4 is their father the females will be cinnamon not greywing. More pictures of the chicks might mean more accurate identification

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

Which are the parents? If number 4 is their father the females will be cinnamon not greywing. More pictures of the chicks might mean more accurate identification
None of the babies are related to the adults, But, their wings are more light brown color than grey, its probably just my camera. #4 adult was a hen anyways. This is my future breeding flock for next year is all goes well :) I think I might try to find a bright sky blue or violet to add in, but dont know yet.

·
Member of the Month February 2013
1,259 Posts
I am horrible with budgie genetics so I am no help - however I just wanted to say your flock is stunning! I love the colors you have even if I can't ID them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
A males cere is purple when under 6months than turns blue a female cere is pink when under 6 months than turns brown a female cere turns rough looking when in the mating stage,it is very hard to tell the sex of a female or male under 6 months.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A males cere is purple when under 6months than turns blue a female cere is pink when under 6 months than turns brown a female cere turns rough looking when in the mating stage,it is very hard to tell the sex of a female or male under 6 months.
A female chick's cere is very rarely pink. If a females cere shows any pink at all the color won't be close to the nostrils. A pink cere on a chick is usually a sign of a male. Also experienced breeders can tell the sex of most chicks by the time they leave the nest or very soon after

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.